head gasket change question

92redsc

i have just changed my HGs and my car is now back together. it is running just a little on the rough side and all the smoke is now out of the pipes. how long before it will return back to normal? i have all the vac lines sealed. also my radiator on the coolant lines are getting VERY hot and stiff while its running but the gauge only has gotten up to straight up and down. i think it may have some air in it or something, would that cause somethin like that to happen? thanks guys.

pull out the thermostat and drill a .125 hole in it. that way you are sure it is bled. we had a plug wire mixed up on my son's car and that made it run rough. it took a good 30 min. for the exhaust to clean up. also your o2 sensors are most likely toast.

Good question. You have to bleed the air out of the system, or yes, this can lead to overheating. The o2 sensors likely do need replacing, and if they have been on the car for a while, it is a good idea anyway. The car will run rough for a little while, but if you haven't connected and sealed the vacuum connections properly, this may be your problem. Check the ignition wire order also, as mentioned above, because that is a common mistake. It may take a while to get all the bugs worked out after putting it all back together, but be patient, and don't panic.

Back