Desperate please help!

LightY3arZ

My car inspection is due on the twelth and as of now I have no turn signals!

Actually, sometimes they work, but most of the time they dont. Based on information found here, I went ahead and bought a new multi function switch from ford (ouch) but the problem still persists. I have since come back and searched further, and read that the buzzing sound I am hearing when I try to engage them and they dont work is due to a malfunctional blinker module? Is this correct?

And if so, does any one have any more detail on installing a new one? I understand that it is above the gas pedal, but how far up into the dash is it, and how much difficulty should I expect in replacing it?

Please let me know, time is of the essence, and this being Christmas time, I do not have the money to take it to a proffesional unless it is absolutely necessary to accomplish the job. (please bare in mind that I already have to pay the 50 or 60 dollars to buy the part from ford, and get the car inspected)

-Thank you,
Derek

I had a N/A that the turn signals just quit and theres a little black relay under the dash...I just got one of those from the junk yard and they worked fine. The relay that im talking about may be the multi-function thing u already replaced im not sure.

Z- you have e-mail,
Joe-W, by multi-function switch I am refering to the turn signal/wiper control arm. I Bought and replaced it. The relay that you replaced, how far up into the dash was it? I havent had a chance to look yet because it was already dark by the time I did more research and found out about it, so I am looking for more information on what to expect, in order to make sure that this is a job I can do myself, and have done right by Friday.

Specificaly: What was your experience with removing the old unit and replacing with the new? How would you rate the job as far as skill required? Is there anything I should watch out for. (no, I dont have a helmes/haynes manual to refer to)

I have searched this topic to death and no one has really ever responded after doing the job as far as how it went, hopfully information posted here will help other noobs as well.

On a side note, Z, I see that you are a member of the Hampton Roads SuperCoupe club. I checked the website not too long ago, and it didnt look like you guys had updated in a while. Is it still a functional group or is it defunct? I would love to join if you guys still get together. :)
-Derek

If you'd like, I could scan in the troubleshooting chart for you from my 95 Ford manual, but unfortunately, I cannot do it until tonight (I'm at work and manual is at home), and from reading your posts, you need it ASAP. Let me know.

Michael: Is that the manual that includes older models like mine? I am not sure how much difference there would be in under dash electronics from the 95 to a 90....

Unfortunately since I am working until 11 it looks like I will have to do it first thing tomorrow morning, before taking it to get inspected...so if you could do that tonight it would be an extreme help!

Z: Once again thank you! I will try to give you a call tomorrow if I run into any problems or have any more questions.

Thanks everybody,
-Derek

Get a bright light and look under the dash on the right side...Its a small box...maybe 1 inch wide by 2 tall, by 1 deep. black. it says something on it like hazards, turn signals, or something like that. It like slides off this metal popsicle stick looking thing and it will droop by the wires. try taping it with something with your turn signals on...it may start ticking...to remove it completely just unplug the plug. it was very easy to do...its expensive from ford so go to junkyard, i think i paid 15 bucks for it. auzone and them dont have it. Let me know how it turns out. if u still cant find it ill take digital picturs...goodluck

Back