Radiator

Digitalchaos

Recently the radiator failed in my car, and I will soon be replacing it. Before doing so however, I would like to further explore the reason for its failure to ensure that it was not related to a more significant problem.

I believe it is the OEM radiator, as the tanks were plastic and the condition of the paint in various places appeared to be poor. This would meant the unit now has logged 92,000 miles and ten years. If it was replaced, its cosmetic appearance does not indicated to me that it is newer than maybe 5 years old.

The point of failure was at the tank seam. It was leaking, not spraying, and coolant loss was fairly slow over about a 3 inch section. The engine was running normally when I discovered the leak, the small quantity of coolant that had been lost did not cause a temperature variance. Had probably been leaking for a few minutes. It was cold out when it happened.

The pressure cap is new (16 lbs), hoses are new, thermostat is new (stock), and this is a few days & 2 trips after a motor mount change.

This thread is more or less an extension of a recent post I had concerning my car, which is why I am questioning this now. It can be found here: http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37941

I guess my main concern is whether or not exhaust gases are entering the cooling system & damage the new radiator as soon as I install it.

Thanks for your help..

That is a valid concern. The best thing for you to do is run a cooling system leakdown test. The test will confirm the seam leak you know about but it will tell you if you have other problems such as any gasket on the motor that handles coolant and yes the HG's.
You can borrow the tool to do the job at Autozone for free or you can have a rad shop do it.
Good luck.

Back