More car mods complete

kuhnga

Well I guess I dont know if I am crazy or stupid(not a question by the way) but just did more mods on the car. David Dalke was at my house working on this and some other projects. David did most of the work, I just supply the ideas and add more work. Anyway thanks Dave, you are a heck of a fabricator and can build about anything.

First thing that we did was a fuel cell. I wanted a fuel cell for looks mainly because I thought it would good. I wanted to cut the trunk floor out and plate it with polished aluminum sheet, so we did. Most of the floor was cut out and we fitted a 23 x 17 11" fuel cell were the spare tire use to be. The cell is actually strapped to the aluminum plate and hangs down were it can only be seen from underneath. The battery and nitrous bottle will sit on the polish plate and we also added a aluminum firewall against the back seat. Basically when you open the trunk it is all polished aluminum, except the sides that are still carpeted.
the fuel cell is acompanied with a 400LPH racing fuel pump, high flow racing filter, braided 6AN supply and return lines.

Since I removed the stock gas tank, we had plenty of room to move the mufflers back and optain side exhaust.
The mufflers fit really good were the gas tank use to be and David was able to custom build and weld the Y pipe and all the hangers needed to make it work. He did a awsome job on making the Y, you could not buy one that nice. The exhaust will be exiting in front of the rear tires, I am still in search of a exhaust tip that is thin enough(suggestion anyone). Anyway the exhaust looks cool and you can actually see the aluminum driveshaft!(needs polished now).

In my constant attempt to eliminate all the useless stuff in the engine bay I was able to get rid of the DIS and Coil pack!
Well atleast from site, both of these items were move behind the dash and mounted on the interior side firewall. Plug wires come from the firewall to the engine bay now.:p . Dis and wiring harness is all out of site.

Other add-ons
Fuel pressure gauge, with chrome case monted on window cowl
OIL pressure,water temp, and boost gauges.
5" tach w shift light.

All of the above were mainly for looks, but will be somewhat of a future need.
I was able to remove 50lbs or so bringing the car weight under 3500lb(I think), yet maintaining all interior, roll bar and appearance of a stock SC.
Maybe I will be ready for a future performance upgrade now?

Sorry no pics at this time, car is in pieces because of other small projects.

Thanks for your time
Gary

awesome gary, wish you had some pics.... but damn that is awesome, now I know why you got rid of that system, wish I could have bought it !!!!!

Gary nice work

Bet it looks nice!
Fuel cell is the only way to go keeps the fuel in the right place pickup area stock tank slushes and pulles away from stock pickup area I have both tanks one 2 gallon fuel cell in trunk for racing.

The weight taken off the car will help any you can get rid of there so heavy Beautiful work Gary your car is one of the best assembled street and strip Sc's I ever seen.

Low 11's next season you will get there soon cant wait to see pictures of that beast :D

We felt that 3/8" was big enough for our needs. The return is actually 5/16" most of the way and 3/8" for only the amount we extended it. Stock is 5/16" and we weren't having delivery problems at that size. Not to mention that we have eliminated all the kinky bends the stock line had. Now that we have a fuel pressure gauge mounted in the cowl for real time monitoring, if we find that we don't have enough fuel we can make necessary changes.

Here are some preliminary unfinished pictures:

Attachments

• cell.jpg
    cell.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 341
Wow Gary!

You guys sure did a great job. All I can say is "rich people sure know how to live"!:D

I wish I could afford to do some of the things I need to do. I have to take on a part time job to finish my project. Thanks for posting Gary. I always learn things from guys like you.

Frank

Gary you can get wide flat exhaust difusers from Dr gas that are used in Nascar. You can see them at there website www.drgas.com I'm sure Dave can build them since he had no problem with the X pipe.;)

Gary,
where is the pic of your wife beating you with the frying pan????

I wished I could have came over, but I was a little out of it from the pain pills.

If I get a chance, maybe I will come over this weekend.

Later
Ken

Gary that is great to hear. Good job guys.

Dave you are the man for helping out like you do. I hope to someday be able to offer the kind of help that many of the members of this community like you do so unselfishly for others.

-Steve

You guys sure did a great job. All I can say is "rich people sure know how to live"!

Far from rich, just had a little room on my credit card.:)
It helps when you have someone to help, where you can do everything yourself.

Thanks everyone,
gary

Gary:Were you able to save any weight with this mod.
Or did you you just transfur some weight.How much
weight were you able to save?Have you done a front
to rear weight ratio yet?

The pictures look like your SC would be really be nice looking
in life.

Would you and Sparky stop by my shop and change my DSI ,coil,
sparkplug wires like your set up?:)

RANDY

Randy,
David has a picture of the DIS and Coil pack mounted behind the dash, maybe he can send you them. Only weight saving from the mods is maybe the exhaust, but we did take some out of other areas.
I want to remove the ABS master cylinder and put in one off of a LX.
I really want to put a manual rack in put AJE wants $550. I dont understand that when you can by the rack for $199.

I still need a alternator bracket as well(cough, cough)
Thanks Gary

GARY
I am interrested in your brake mod.I to want to swap out the SC master cylinder.
I looked at the master cylinder on Connies 95 LX.It looks like it would work.
I just don't feel that I need all the bells and whisles that a SC brake system has.
I got a brake starting to surge so I have been looking for a differrent setup.

I have been looking at www.strangeengineering.net aluminum hubs for stangs.
page 69-70-72.I don't think that I would be able to use the gear on the hub for
the ABS.Do you or sparky know how,or what it takes to get rid of the ABS?That
abs gear look like junk weight to me.It would make a good door stop,or maybe
look good on my gear mobil hanging in the shop

www.flamingriver.com

NASCAR style dumps would be nice on your exhaust made with aluminum.

I havent been out to the shop for a while to get the rest of the brackets finished.
I wish I had them finished.Then I can start on straightining out my IC tubes for a
straighter shot at the front mount intercooler.I will make three brackets,and
send you one,and to that stuby SC if they work out ok.

The only thing I plan to buy from AJE is the K-member,and that will be in maybe
march next year.Some lightined aluminum hubs I think are worth looking into.
stang style.With the flamingriver rack.

Randy,

At this time I have my ABS computer removed, but the wire harness is still there, so basically I do not have abs now. From what I understand it is a direct swap to go to the normal LX brake master cylinder. The only difference is that the LX has 2 lines that run to the rear brakes and we have one. Meaning if you tied your reas together you could lose all brakes in the event of a line rupture. Who needs brakes anyway. I will be working on it soon I will give all the details.

Gary

Wouldn't the front and rear brakes still be seperated? What would happen to an SC if the line blew on the rear?

i dotn recommend that brake stup i have the same setup and i do have a proportioning valve , and brakes SUCK the lock easily the rears dont work very well etc. seems like the lx bird master cylinder can supply enough force to the rear brakes. in fact i was in a small collision because of that when braking hard the front just lock up and the rears do nothing.

btw i didnt removed the abs the previous owner did.

i think it would work but with a different master cylinder for a car with 4 wheels discs.

I Have a 94SC ABS that I was thinking of putting in, minus the ABS.
I do not think the LX is any smaller anyway. I really have not looked into it much, but I will this week and figure it out.

Thanks for the info
Gary

Back