Heat sink compound

1BADSC

Can someone explain why heatsink compound is used on the ignition module. I know it is for heat, but wouldn't it be better to have something that blocks heat.

Typical heat sink compound (for processors) is used to transfer high amounts of heat from the processor into the heat sink in order to keep cool. So doesn't the use of heat sink compound transfer heat from the ac compressor up into the ignition module?

You don't want to BLOCK the heat from the DIS as it will overheat and fry.
The heatsink helps provide a good heat exchange to that great big metal thing it bolts to. By doing this, the heat will absorb into the mounting bracket and helps get the heat out of the DIS module. Same as a air cooled motorcycle with the fins on the head and cylinder areas, and on your computer as the heat from thousands of diodes or whatever create heat which is exchanged through the heat sink to the fins of the (usually metal) fan/cooler assembly. Hope that makes sense..

yeah it does, but I just figured the AC bracket would create more heat from the motor than what the DIS does. But hey, I guess it works. :) Thanks for the explination. Another thing you could try would be the Artic Silver CPU compound. You can get temps from 5-15 degrees cooler than your standard compound. I used it when I overclocked my 2GHz P4 to 3.1 GHz with air cooling, no water cooler. :)

Last edited:
My dad is a computer tech for mainframes and has explained the heat sink (On puters). He says in probably a year, most people will be using a radiator to cool their CPU's. With hundreds of thousands of tiny diodes or whatnot inside the processor it will generate huge amounts of heat...but a radiator on the front of my computer????:D :D
Your CPU is SERIOSLY over clocked man! Should have just bought a better processor..:eek:

They've had CPU radiator-esc units for a while now.

4509345-1140.jpg

They didn't have a better processor. I bought that one when it first came out. That was the new Northwood core with 512KB of L2 Cache. Then I added a DIGIDOC to measure all the temps and control fan speed and rate of activation.

Then i switched over to MAC's and find no use for my other computer now, except just messing around on it.

If you want some cooling, they now have AC cooling for Processors. Can get the temps down into -20c. Pretty cool stuff. Another cool design is from a company called Koolance. They make computer cases with built in water coolers and temp monitors. :)

Attachments

• ccs-a04_p1.jpg
    ccs-a04_p1.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 194
That is REALLY odd looking. I can imagine needing ear protection when those dual fans kick on. I hope it is quiet or no one will buy a setup like that.:D

...Excuse me...TRIPLE FANS..

Well that is a windows machine so I am sure it is loud. Have you looked at the Powermac G5, it has 5 fans and is quiet as a mouse. just depends on there construction and speed.

But for windows machines it is a good case.

Heat moves from hotter (the DIS module) to colder (the AC bracket), since the DIS will exceed 200F if not properly heatsinked it only makes since to mount it to something that is colder (relatively).

Jeff

it for heat transfer that transistors give off, same as an amplifier inside of an amp, with a whole mess of transistors on the outside with heatsink compund and mounted to the big heatsink on the outside of an amp.. thats why i took mine and put dual big heat sinks and relocated near air intake bolted it it to the inner pass fender (module must be grounded), remounted using 1" stand offs, and extended the wiring harness as well.. pics below..

Alex LaChance

-E-Mail- SuperCoupeSC91@hotmail.com

-AOL Instant Messenger - SuperCoupeSC91

-MSN Instant Messenger - SuperCoupeSC91@hotmail.com

-Yahoo Instant Messenger - SuperCoupeSC91@hotmail.com

-ICQ Instant Messenger- 235944899

My Dyno Run
Pics + Video
220 RWHP (So Far)
325 RWT (So Far)
<http://www.bristoldyno.com>

My Modifications + Future Modifications List
<http://www.tccoa.com/rides/lacale.shtml>

My Website with My Car Pics + Stuff for sale (with my new 18” ROH Azurro’s)
Pic's in folder
"Alex's 1991 Thunderbird SuperCoupe (Custom) Part 1"
<http://community.webshots.com/user/supercoupe>

its like an amp, when the amp gets hot, and really really hot, sometimes it cuts off, shuts off or goes into protection. because the transistors inside off the amp are creating to much heat. and cant release it fast enough.. thats easiest way i can think of trying to explain it. Diodes dont give off heat.. voltage regulators could give off some but most is transistors that are known to be heater givers :) .. thats why people say to make sure you have heatsink transfer compound under your module and its good to put a fresh coat every now and then.. i would really recommened to relocated it somewhere away from the engine, make sure its properly grounded. or else your car wont start. You could improve what i did a little by using heatsink(s) and a computer small pc fan, i might add some fans to my design next year easy mod and why not ?

Electronics Tech @ Ingersoll Rand
Alex LaChance

If enough current passes through a doide it will need to be heatsinked as well. That's why there are Stud mount doides and some in the TO-220 case size and TO-3 size for that matter.

Jeff

Back