what is the diff between code r and c sc

There was some talk about this issue alittle while back. Some thought that "C" code motors were Duracast cranks, but I dont know for sure if thats what it means. I would say its highly possable though because the "C" engine is a SC engine and the 89 engine was either a "C" or a "R" depending on the code in the VIN #. Things got confusing when Chilton also listed a code "C" engine for 92. I tend to beleive that Chilton got the 92 part wrong myself but who knows.
This appears to be another SC mystery because of the piss poor documentation by Ford and the aftermarket about this car.
After all these years you would think alot of stuff about these cars would come out from Ford and other involved parties but no.
Some of those Ford employees should work for the CIA because they appear to be better at keeping things secret than alot of the CIA do. LOL!!!!

Well the c code had a bigger gas tank and CFI or a carb.

I guessing it was a truck that was never made here in the states. Perhaps a supercharged ranger that never got of the ground ....

Looked through the documentation I have here at home.

The C does indeed stand for the engines in the early production of the 89 SC-the forged crank appears in SCs produced January 30, 1989 and beyond.

So any 1989 SC built between the start of the 89 model year and January 29, 1989 will have the Duracast crank-looks like I'll be ordering 2 new cranks soon, as both of the 89 SCs I own are early production.

How do you know it's a forged crank?

All of the information I have available through materials I gathered from Ford and other source3s says that the Duracast crank was in all early production models-the forged crank engines did not make it onto the assembly line at Lorain until Jan 30th, 89.

What are the casting numbers on the crankshaft?

According to George D. The R and C code have nothing to do with the Duracast and forged cranks.

Jeff

Back