RAxles Available Again

DLF

RAxles Available Again!!

UPDATE!

I just received this email myself:

Thank you for inquiring in the past of our Raxles HiPo Thunderbird rear shafts!

They are available now,finally! :)
They passed all test beyond expectations.
These axles are hand assembled out of the strongest available components available.
1. Special race-spec inner and outer joints.
2. Hardened and tapered (no week step-down point) shafts.
3. Hytrel HD boots
4. Packed with racing synthetic grease.
Available now at $249.95 each plus shipping.

Raxles Inc.
2341 NW 71st Pl
Gainesville FL 32653-1623
(800) 257-8192 voice
(3520372-9744 fax
sales@raxles.com
www.raxles.com

They're open until noon today, if you can't wait :D

Last edited:
I'll be checking on this Monday, for that price, I might buy two pair :D

Last edited:
Douglas,

How much did they cost before they stopped making them?

Do they still have a "lifetime" warranty?

Let us know.

Thanks!

I talked to them a few months back when I started getting parts for the BB swap in my XR7. He said they were in testing and would be out soon. He said around $500 a pair was what they were selling for before.

Glad to see it worked out. Everything I read said they were a bulletproof part. Time to get the checkbook out I guess.

I seriously doubt they're made from the same material as the stock axles. Wouldn't you say joint construction and material would have a lot more to do with strength and durability than the spline count?

Just a quick and sort of related question:

Has anyone broken the Fat shafts (stock passenger side 5-speed SC halfshafts)?

-Rod

Now that I think of it, I only RECALL one person (Gary Kuhn) breaking a half shaft and it was from wheel hop if memory serves. Just a little tidbit I thought I would throw in. Given the age and mileage on most cars, I think the raxles are a fantastic idea and will be getting a set myself.

Paul

MTTod said:
I seriously doubt they're made from the same material as the stock axles. Wouldn't you say joint construction and material would have a lot more to do with strength and durability than the spline count?

If you take a look at the link I posted it might help you to understand the role spline count has in strength. The spline count of the axle determines the maximum diameter of the shaft. That impacts the ability of the axle to deal with rotational loads. (Less surface area to spread the load against)

That is just one small part of strength of the axle. But all other things being equal, a 31 splined shaft should be stronger than a 28 spined shaft.

The deal with the Raxles parts is that all other things are not equal. Just the visual differences (things we can see) between the Raxles part (assuming the same as the last time they made them) and the stock part is dramatic. Larger CV joints, and no transitions in axle sizes are just two points.

Here is a picture that GLDIII has stored on his website of the prior part they sold for us compared to the stock part. I'm guessing the new part is very simlar.

rxvsfs.jpg

Broken 28 spline Axle Stubs

DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:
28 spline unfortunately is far from bulletproof
RAXLES has never said that their axles couldn't be broken. They just guarantee to replace them, if they do break. When I bought my RAXLES, they had never had one returned.

As far as 28 splines not being strong enough, that was true of the 28 spline axles in 2nd. gen. Mustangs, which were made from softer steel. Even then it wasn't the splines that failed, it was the shaft that twisted.

Has anybody ever ripped the splines off an IRS axle stub? I'd like to hear from anybody who has!

68COUGAR

RAXLES vs. Drag Racing

Mike8675309 said:
Keep in mind though that they claim a lifetime warranty. I'm not sure if they have an cavets regarding the application like drag racing with them.
When I bought my RAXLES, there was no disclaimer against drag racing.

68COUGAR

I didn't mean that they would invalidate their warranty. I just mean that from what I could find, it appears that if you want to make the 28 spline axle as strong as possible you need to be doing so on purpose.

Thus I would just recommend if someone is intending to use their axles for a race to the 10second club, that you might talk to them about this to make sure it's your best option. Who knows. They might be able to help with something even stronger. Assuming they feel the standard one they are making might not be sufficieent, and assuming you're willing to pay for it.

Back