Putting a T5 transmission into my Thunderbird?

M

MadSammyboy

Hello, everyone. I have a question for anyone who might know the answer. I have a 1991 Sport Coupe with an automatic transmission. I have the opportunity to acquire a T5 manual transmission out of a 1989 Mustang, and I am thinking of putting this transmission on the T-Bird. I have been told that the mechanics won't be a problem, but the clutch pedal mechanism might be.
Has anyone ever done this before? I am thinking of acquirring the clutch pedal mech. from a TBird SuperC (if I can find one), and using it with the 'Stang T5. Can this be done? Any input would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Sam

You'll need the kit supplied by mn12performance. I think it's $400, which gives you the shifter extension needed to allow the shifter to come up where it should. You will also need all the SC clutch assembly, (pedals, slave cyllinder, hydro clutch release mechanism, hydro line, and I think a mustang flywheel, pres. plate, and clutch. I have never done this personally, but that's what I remember off the top of my head.

He's got most of the stuff you'll need mentioned.

The slave cylinder for an sc won't quite work though (unless you can fab the mount for it.... there are more details on this swap in the Literature section, scroll down and you should find an article on it). There are some external slave cylinders that will work with the fork on the T-5 if you can find one to work its just a matter of having a clutch line made to fit the SC master to it. www.mn12performance.com does now offer a shifter extension so what used to be the hard part isnt...

Parts

I still have the complete clutch set out of my 91. It was not slipping as far as I know, Clutch, Press Plate, Slave Cyl, T.O. Brng.

If you want it to use for figuring out how to make this set up work for just pay the shipping and it is yours.

Sean

You'll still need the pedals, so if you are interested, let me know. I had a '92 Sport, and was going to do the same thing until I wrecked it. Regret it since...

just keep in mind that mustangs din't have hydraulic clutches, they had cable clutches, but you can actually go with either one. the auto drive shaft will probably be a little too long. new flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, etc. the typical problem with the shifter is that the manual transmission sits a little farther foward, so if you use the stock mustang shifter, you hand will hit the dash in 1st, 3rd, and 5th. i researching the same project. also, i think it's the t-5 that you can take an f150 rebuild kit and use those parts, and it will be a lot tougher. the main shaft won't flex. that's the biggest problem with t-5's.

I put a T-5 behind the SC motor - remember though this is in the ranger! And I put it in in place of the WEAK AOD - I have never seen a SC 5 spd in real life.
It was over a year ago, but here are some of the things I remember having encountered that caused trouble. 1st I got my T-5 out of an 89 5.0 mustang. The bellhousing I got w/ it was a lot smaller than the SC one because the mustangs had only a 10" clutch not 11 like the SC's. Therefore you need the mustang (or f-150 or whatever) flywheel and clutch. I got the flywheel off a 5.0, but 5.0's are not zero balanced, so I had to get the flywheel machined to be zero balanced. Also, I got a kit online for converting the ranger (hydraulic clutch) to use the T-5. PM or email me for info on this - the kit was like $215. Since the ranger started life as a 5 spd I didn't have to worry about headaches w/ pedals, etc.
The amaizing thing about my swap was I got a completely rebuilt (performance build too - not the cheapy) T-5 w/ bellhousing and all parts and put it in the truck for LESS than I was quoted for a basic rebuild on the POS AOD! And that's even w/ dropping the AOD off on the tranny guys bench and putting it back in myself!

Since my truck is now being totally redone in race form I am putting a c6 behind it (hate the power autos rob but oh well - I need one), and most likely won't have any use for my parts (other then the T-5 itself which is actually going in my alfa romeo project). PM me or email me at SHartDP@aol.com if you are interested in parts, or want more specific info on the swap.

Interesting info on the T5

Linky
Linky #2

The T5 really isn't all that strong. It withstands a 5.0 in a Muskrat mainly because a 302 doesn't make a whole bunch of torque. Yes, you can speed shift them, yes they are cheap, but the M5R2 is much stronger than a T5. The best factory T5 wasn't rated to handle the torque of a STOCK SC motor.

At least the T5 is common as dirt, so you can find spares to replace the broken ones. :)

turbocoupes (87-88, I know for a fact, not sure about 83-86 ) have hydraulic systems.

hehe, and as I have been told, the T-5's max torque rating is 10 ft/lbs less than the 5.0 makes. If you shift it while spinning the wheels, well, it tends to break shift forks rather easily.

I believe one of the main advantages to installing a T-5 however is the aftermarket advantage they have. There are companies which make these transmission stronger than both the stock Mustang units and stock M5R2 units. The selection of parts is also higher. This is all likely due to the large quantities that were produced, and thus the greater demand.

Back