What would cause my car not to boost?

boostwhat

I have an 89 sc with no boost. I parked the car for about an hour went to drive it and no power at all. The gauge will read 20 in/hg vaccum and go to zero when I get on it, never into boost. My IC tubes are tight and leak free. What else could it be? It runs fine except the no boost part. Thanks Derek

Belt came off.

In my case. Tensioner broke and wrapped it around the the inside of the SC pully still turning and ripping it up .No boost. crazy luck . 16.00 Autozone.

if belts are ok then you have the same problem as my 90 sc had the BCS boost control solenoid , most sc dont have them just some early models. disconnet this vaccum hose and go for a drive if you get boost its the bcs.

to solve that problem just cap that vaccum hose and get vaccum from any other source.

Attachments

• bypass2.jpg
    bypass2.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:
I had the hose clamp catch the arm on the selenoid and hold the lever shut, allowing almost no boos, would hit 1psi max. I thought my blower had seized ( this was a week after I had gotten my sc). Really freaked me out.

What turbospeed has labeled is the bypass valve and they tend to get stuck.

BCS's were used on the TurboCoupes and were an electronic boost limiter. I have yet to see it mentioned in either the 89 or 90 electrical manual so I'm pretty sure our cars didnt have them.

If you can get to it and spray it good with something like WD-40 it should loosen up.

It sounds like that could be your problem (it is a common one...). You can try unplugging it and seeing if that brings back your boost.

On the 89

That vac line goes to a EEC controled vacume solinoid. Some call it a super charger boost solinoid. If the solinoid is bad the VlV won't open.

I can't remember if your cars auto or 5-spd turbospeed... that may have something to do with it for 90 (like the egr did...) I can't remember if mine does or not but hell the car itself is 2500 miles away for now so I can't check :p

Back