Stock SC vs. V8 Cougar

TwoBadSCsinNY

This is probably a really dumb question, but I'm sure someone out there has raced a stock cougar with their SC..Can a stock SC beat a stock V8 Cougar? I haven't raced one yet, but I'm about to because this person is convinced that he can and has beaten a Camaro Z28.

Attachments

• thunderbirdsc.jpg
    thunderbirdsc.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 324
If we're talking an mn12 cougar (89-97) its mostly going to be down to the driver... they weigh about the same but are a little less powerful (5.0L = 200hp 275 ft-lbs, 4.6L = 205hp 280 ft-lbs). As long as you don't have a traction problem ;) you should be able to take him

Head to head an SC will eat a V8. forcfed93 and I have gone up against each other twice during the Club Clash series here in Iowa-if we were running head to head and not bracket he'd have eaten me alive. Those runs were stock trim, BTW.

I won't even attempt a Camaro Z-I may like racing but I'm not stupid!:D

thunderbird

assuming both cars are stock and running properly the SC will win. My friend at school has a 95 Thunderbird with a 4.6l and a cold air and larger throttle body. Even with me launching softly and letting the auto shift when it pleased, I had 2 or more cars on him at 65.........twice in a row. His T-bird would hold itself to 5,500 rpms and BURN into second so it is a healthy bird but he didn't have the torque to keep up.

Well, the cougar is a 94 (I believe) I was thinking I could win, but I wasn't sure of the hp that the V8 had. I don't understand how he could win against the Z28, probably because the other person didn't know how to drive it. This guy got really nasty with me, I guess it's because most men don't think women are capable of driving.. and I got really angry. I almost went home and hopped in my Black SC, that would kill his cougar no doubt.

We know the SC is stock, but you don't know for sure about the Cougar, do you? If he's playing you, it could be because he knows about yours but doesn't want you to know about his. Could be modified and you won't know it and he won't tell you.

He said the car is bone stock..I've heard the car run, no exhaust, unless he has other modifications and no exhaust which doesn't make much sense to me..but you never know. The way the argument was going was that we both have stock cars and he was telling me my car was crap blah blah..and that I don't stand a chance. I was just wondering for my own peace of mind, I just didn't appreciate being talked to the way I was being talked to, and I wasn't sure of the HP and torque the v8 had so I didn't want to look like a moron...Oh and it was a relatively new Z..not sure what year..

Last edited:
if its a 94-95 Cougar and is stock, you will have no problem especially since you own a 94.......I don't see why he would be telling you your car is crap, they are the same, minus the back window, and the different motors. He is just one of those people who must own the best of everything and he can't accept that you have a car that is as nice as his, even nicer to alot of people.

dont listen to them twobad, i wouldnt get close to one of those v8's they are serious powerhouses.....:rolleyes: i smoked a v8 4.6 bird by like 6 cars in my 91 with a 10 od pulley and exhaust. powerhouses my a$$. unless hes got stuff done, should be a pushover.:)

there was a 96(?) cougar out at the track at earlville that had a cat-back and cai and ran a 15.2. Stock my tbird ran a best of 15.315. Most stock 94 and up cougars run anywhere from mid-high 15s to low 16s. Good luck:)

Hey Tony, you seriously ordered new GT? :eek: Damn dude! Hey, how does the 331 w/Blowzilla run? I almost did that myself. Went so far as to convert my 89 over to 5.0 5spd but sold the car before living out the dream. :( So how does it run, huh? huh? :D

Yeah-I've had a GT on order for almost two years now.

Haven't really had the chance to test the 331/Blowzilla combo, as it isn't even in the car yet-the car just went through a complete restoration at Duffy's, and the motor/tranny combo were installed about 3 weeks ago. Come this spring I'll be able to flog it a bit-Duffy's ran the motor on a full engine dyno that allowed them to put the motor/tranny under differing load conditions-the engine has 200 hours on it that range from City to WOT simulated dragstrip passes-estimated HP at the rear wheels will be in the neighnorhood of 515hp.

Hey, Dave-what type of spoiler is that on your SWB? Doug and I are planning on a 93 V8 SWB, and that spoiler is the only one I've seen that looks good on the Birds.

Unfortunately both front and rear spoilers were made by a company which is long since defunct. This car was built in 92 and that is when the spoilers were purchased. Sorry 'bout that. Very nice on the v8 SC. Can't wait to see some track numbers. Should be good for a very low eleven sec 1/4. :D

TwoBadSCsinNY said:
This guy got really nasty with me, I guess it's because most men don't think women are capable of driving..

Based on that it is, IMO, most likely the guy is a jerk who can't handle being gainsaid by a woman.

OTOH, nitrous does come to mind but doesn't really fit the above info. Most of the time a sleeper driver just makes comments that would get a race but wouldn't get angry about it.

XR7 Dave said:
Hey Parker, I guess I never noticed that before in your sig. How does that car run with the cent. blower on it?

It's a Mustang, BTW. I didn't think about LX Birds when I made the sig.

Anyway, the car has been in the current configuration since about 95 or 6 and it's never been to the track!

I got it a year and a half ago or so and have been meanig to hit the track for a baseline but money and ambition (more on the ambition side) haven't come together.

It has the S-trim, the old TFS Street Heat heads, F-cam, and a few other things that were hot a decade ago but there are also quite a few things I'd like to change too.

But out on the street it's a blast and it's really fun to watch passengers freak out when the tail starts getting loose on the top of Fourth :D

Back