Another IC question

kenewagner

I pressure tested my IC found many very small leaks. Is it possible to reepoxy around the tubes? Where would I get the epoxy. Would appriciate some input. Thanks

I think he`s taking about resealing the core not the connections. I think the auto parts stores sell high tempeture epoxey. Check with them. As for sealing the tubes, get ahold of tbird88. Wynn is the best.

ohh the actual tube itsself, ok gotcha, well i dunno if i were kenewagner, i would just find a new tube to replace it, im sure you can find one for 50 or less. well kene tell us what ya do.

yea tbird88, that is who it is, i couldnt remember thanks scbird1

kenewagner said:
I pressure tested my IC found many very small leaks. Is it possible to reepoxy around the tubes? Where would I get the epoxy. Would appriciate some input. Thanks

I'm not sure what you mean but if youre saying the IC core has leaks get some Devcon liquid Aluminum Epoxy. You can get it from Mcmaster Carr and its the best stuff on the market. I have used it many times to reshape the internal dimensions in cylinderhead intake ports, its completely machinable also.

IC leaks

Sorry guys for not being more specific. I finished welding two IC cores side by side with custom end tanks. When I pressured tested it I used a leak detection solution to spray the wole core. I had a lot of what I describe as fuzzy seepers.I took my time welding part of the end tanks and than letting it cool before welding some more. My guess is I must have cooked some of the existing epoxy. Have you guys welding double intercoolers run in to that before. Are small seepers something to even be concerened about. Mike is that product you mentioned thin enough to run between the tubes and seal all those tubes? Over all my new front IC looks good and I am happy with the end product.

Last edited:
You dont want any leaks in your IC system at all so yes fix it.
The liquid Aluminum will flow all over the header plates and seal up the tubes again. You have a long time window to work the epoxy about 6-7 hrs. Dont put any pressure to the IC until 24 hrs has passed since application and once it sets its THERE!!!!

Notice the area around the valve guide in this Cleveland intake port. That is Liquid Steel because thats a iron head, its the same product as Liquid Aluminum but it has powdered steel in it where Liquid Aluminum has has powdered Aluminum in it.

Attachments

• larrys cleve3.jpg
    larrys cleve3.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 370
IC

Thanks mike thats exactly what I need. I have plenty of time to do it right. Have you any pictures of your FMIC that you could post? Thanks again

Theres not much to see right now. I just have bare cores setting around right now, been building rads and havent had much time to play with my stuff lately.

IC

Mike: You said I could get the Devcon liquid alum epoxy from McMaster Carr. Is that a auto parts store or a company on line that sells it. I am in Omaha Nebraska, who in this part of the country has it. I appriciate all your input. You seem to be on top of the technical side of SCs. The forum sure as helped me solve many problems. Thanks:D

I'm sorry, I should have posted the link.
www.mcmastercarr.com
Once the homepage opens type part # 10710 into the search engine and it will come up.
That is the stuff I use to repair or reshape Aluminum when welding is not practical.

IC

Thanks mike. With all experence welding up radiators, modifing heads, FMICs etc. what do you do for a living if you dont mind my asking.

For a living I've been a Pipefitter and industrial fabricator for 23 years. Car stuff is one of my hobbies and something I realy enjoy.
Anything with a motor and I'll play with it. I cant help it, I've always liked cars from a very early age. I was and am still amazed by them.

ICs

Thanks Mike, it's always nice to know something about the people behind the posts. I too have been a welder,fabricator for over 30 years and I now manage a repair shop. The only thing I am still working on is the piping for my FMIC. It seems to be hard to get anything local so I am serfing the web for diffrent companies that do mandrel bending. Good luck on your radiators. I too would be interested but I already have a Griffen radiator in my 93 SC:)

Try www.magnumforceracing.com I buy Mandrel bends from them and there very reasonable.
Thanks for the good luck wish on the rads because it needs some good luck, it does'nt look like its going to be a reality much longer.
But hey .....its been a learning experiance. For instance I've learned not to pay attention to anyone that says "put me on your list, I want one as soon as there available" I'll never fall for that again.;)

Mike,

Are you saying you will stop building radiators? Kind of funny, I'm waiting on a reply from another member on what he thought of your radiator since I'm thinking about going that route for Spring. It was just in comparision with the Griffin and I wanted his feedback. I'm not trying to knock your product or anything. I just wanted someone else's opinion since it is quite a bit of money. I don't mind spending the money but I want the best product for my money.

If you don't mind, could you give me all the details on your radiator, such as, rows, tube size, price and so on. The car in question is an automatic 95.

Well Duane what I'm saying is that word got out localy(which I did'nt want to deal with) about what I was doing and as a result of that I'm now covered up with alot of rad projects I had not given any thought or had the desire to do. But I have to do something to pay for all the equipment I bought to do the stock drop in rads for members.
When I started my thread about rads it was to show what I was doing for my car and to offer it to anyone else that wanted one.
Not only did guy's ask me on the thread to do drop in rads but they flooded my PM and Email box's with pleas to make drop in rads which was something I stated at the begining I was not interested in doing. I knew how much trouble the other guy's that tried it went through and in the end it fell through.
I thought long and hard about doing this because I knew that if I took it on I was going to have to buy a HF welding machine to weld them out. I had a Miller Maxtar 140 which is a nice little machine and it handled anything I wanted to do around here except Aluminum, You need High Frequency to TIG weld Aluminum.
Before all this started if I needed to weld Aluminum I would go to my uncles place to do it because I did'nt weld Aluminum very much at home. I knew that if everyone that begged and offered to send money hit me with orders all at once I could'nt go to his place and do buiseness out of it, that just would'nt be right.
I also felt like since I went public it was either time for me to put up or shut up, I chose to step up to the plate and stop flapping my gums.
I went to the welding supply house and bought a Miller SD 180 Squarewave machine. Not the biggest badest HF rig Miller makes but its used by all the racecar teams that are affiliated with Miller and will weld anything I'll be doing, by the time I got out the door I had spent right at $2,000.
I then sourced a sheetmetal shop to buy sheet Aluminum from and they cut and bend peices into the various different angle peices I needed to cut the brackets and so forth out of and that costs money. There are many other things I had to get in order to these things in proficent manner but thats enough of the grocery list.
This is the part that realy gets me, all of those guy's that were begging me just about on a daily basis to "please take there money because they wanted to be the first to get one and that they would pay more to be the first" would not even return my Email that I sent them telling them they were available and the could get the order info in the Parts for Sale section of the SCCOA board.
I spent 4 hrs in front of the comp typing and sending that Email to every single person that told me "Put me on your list because as soon as you get it worked out I'll send you the money" Several had offered to pay more than a Griffen, but only 2 people out of over 50 even replied back.
The 2 guy's (Lee Mast and Doug Franklin) that I contacted to be the first 2 (1 auto,1 manual) Jumped up and helped me get going.
They both now have there rads and can speak freely about them to anyone that wants to talk to them about it. I'm lifting the dome of silence Lee and Doug!
I'm presently working on the 2 guy's rads that answered my Email, there runing alittle behind because 1 fella had some things come up and I delayed starting to let him get things straightened out. Having 1 core sent one day and the other sent 3 days later raises shiping costs to me by twice the amount.
I will work with guy's, were all only human and things come up. I understand that all too well, life can change in a blink of the eye and I know that firsthand. The point of all that is that noone has even contacted me to say " I know I made a comitment but something has happened" or " Thanks but I've decided I'm not in the market anymore" instead its just stoped like flicking a switch.
The very minute I posted they were available everything stoped just like it never happened.
I must say I'm confused and dont know what to make of this, of all the car boards I visit(I have varied interests) I always held this one at a higher level. The guy's here seemed to have a comradery and respect for each other that I've not seen at other sites and this has been my favorite site because of that.
Right now I feel like I was walked out on a plank and then it was jerked out from under me.
Info about the rads is posted in the Parts for Sale section. I'm not sure how far down its moved because I will not go there and post nothing realy just to bring it up to the top again. I'm realy not much on whoreing.
There is a seperate Email address listed there for any qeustions you may have.
I had to set up another Email account just to handle the rad stuff because there was sooo much of it that it had consumed my reg account and was getting confusing.

I'll shut up now, I did'nt mean to go on like this but you did ask.
As far as will I stop making them? I dont know, it all depends on if I get enough orders to tell those Chevy and Mopar guy's to go away.

Thanks Mike.

I'll check out the For Sale section. I was just inquiring because I won't buy until Spring, really after Christmas when money is available again. As you know, I didn't commit to one when this first started.

Oh, can you build mine so that I put the engine oil in the radiator and the radiator coolant in the engine. I like to screw things up. I'm referring to my post on the Non-Technical side. LOL

I know you did'nt commit Duane, they know who they are.
On a lighter note......Did you really do that?....I thought you were horsing around! I would'nt rag you about, hell I just pulled a good one out in the shop.:(

FMIC

Mike: Here is a picture of my IC. The epoxy will be here some time today so I can seal those little leaks.

Attachments

• finished ic front.jpg
    finished ic front.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 134
Back