Serious Exhaust question - need opinions

Bacondoggy

I know we get exhaust questions all the time - I have flowmaster's on and no cats or rez, so not only is it extremly loud it sounds like a POS ricer because it rattles and has some of the "fart cannon" sound - I HATE THIS WITH A PASSION! I was thinking of getting something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2448249608&category=42610

what does everyone think here? I want something that get's rid of the horrible sound it has right not - I am not a big fan of flomaster, aside from the drone, I think the baffles might be rusted out or something for it to be making the sound it does... I also would get them put in by some exhaust guy, and I don't want him to charge me an arm and a leg so I want something that will be pretty easy to fit, and the exhaust maybe even bends down. not concerened if single or dual on each side... any suggestions, and also where to get the mufflers would be greatly appriciated....

In my opinion, that is not the way to go. Typically, a dual 2.5" in and single 3" out seems to be the popular choice among SC owners to use as a resonator. The fact that it is 19" long would certainly help with the noise issue you are having, but I'm not convinced that is the best configuration.

Many people seem to be happy with the Magnaflow resonator that incorperates the dimensions I mentioned above. If you do a 2.5" into 3" and back to 2.5" system, with decent mufflers and a resonator, you should experience a decent sound level. The fact that you have no cats and resonator is why you exhaust is so loud, plain and simple. Keep in mind, without cats, almost anything you do will still be relatively loud.

You didn't mention your exact current configuration, so I can't comment on what you'd have to change, and how extensive the swap might be.

Good luck!

PS: You might want to put your real name in your signature so people know who they are talking to, and can refer to you by name.

Last edited:
maybe I should have clarified - I do not want to use one as a res = I was thinking of using 2 in the rear as mufflers... like having 4 tips showing... but that was just a thought - I wouldn't care if there are just 2

While the 19" borla's will likely clean up the noise a bit. They are not going to dramatically reduce the noise level by themselves.

If you truley want to reduce the sound level you will need to add a resonator.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

me no like rez

will it get rid of the ricey sound? and the rattle? I don't care if it is loud - I just want a quality sound that doesn't sound like #$%

I have no resonator and two mufflers (Magnaflow) and it sounds like complete crap. I also have cutouts to dump after the headers, so I just run it open usually, which is more fun! But anyway I think the problem is that the "bad" sound is generated somewhere in the middle of the exhaust system, so mufflers at the end of the system can't help that sound, but a resonator in the middle can. I'm planning to get something like that Borla and run it as a resonator, and then either use my same mufflers, or no mufflers depending on how well the resonator works.

I am in the process of makeing my own exhuast useing a transverse muffler (like the ones on z-28's) 2 1/4 inch to high flow cats t0 3 inch to transverse to 2 1/2 inch pipess. I'll let you know how it sound sat or monday this should take the "rice" away,I hope!

Exhausted

Got the transverse flow-master on sound is pretty good until.... the sc whines up then a little rasp but over all much better than the 40 series I had on her before. You guys may be right ,to get rid of the last of that top end rasp a resonator is probably in order .I'll live with it because it does sound good other than that

BTW I have resonator exhaust tips still to go on ...........Almost forgot! so the sound is still not final. will update maybe today!

Last edited:
I have the 19" Borlas in a true dual 2.5" system with no cats and no resonator. It sounds terrible, and it is way too loud.

don't think I am wierd, but what about getting 2 mufflers that the ricers use? lol I mean wait a sec don't freak out... but honda's with their high compression ratio have problems with sound more then we do, so I would think it would sound different then if they wereon a ricer. and its not to rice out my car in ANY way, but certain ones that are designed to sound deep, on an actual car with power might sound quite nice???

Not another exhaust post...

Doggybacon,
Do a search on exhaust systems and you'll see a ton of people using generally two 2.5" hiflow cats to a 3" magnaflow resonator to two 2.5" pipes to two dynomax mufflers. Never heard anyone complain about the sound nor performance. In fact I have this exact setup and my car does not sound loud at all. It is very throaty without the rice, and would buy it again...:)

edit...sorry for name error "Bacondoggy"

I just modified my exhaust and have these observations.

Almost 6 years ago, I bought & had installed the original SCP "Big Dog" exhaust. Good breathing and sounding system with shorty headers & hi-flow cats. But, I really got tired of scraping half the driveways and speed bumps, since I'm lowered almost 2 inches.

1st I replaced the "Big Dog" Dynomax setup in the rear (was hanging down too low the way it was originally installed) with the Flowmaster setup. It sounded mellow and was a LOT quieter, so I decided to take out the resonator. Now it's almost as loud as the "Big Dog" but sounds "tinny" when I get into it. It's not bad with mild acceleration or cruising, only when I start to make boost. Apparently the resonator is what takes out the tinny harmonics.

I hope this helps,

Lee

flowmaster

Does the Flowmaster system have a 2.5 inch single pipe? The SuperCoupePerformance site says that both the Flowmaster and Dynomax systems utilize a 2.5 pipe.

Yea the Flowmaster setup has a 2 1/2" mandrel bent center pipe. I have that system on my 95 with hi flow cats and I like the way it sounds.
I have the SCP exhaust on my 94 and love the way it sounds.

3 inch single pipe

Thanks Tony,

Wow, you have 330 RWHP with a 2.5 inch single pipe! That's impressive.

I went with a custom job at the Meineke shop that is 2.25 to 3 to 2.25. I liked the 3 inch single that I had on it for about eight years and decided to have a custom replacement instead of the Flowmaster or Dynomax 2.5 single. It has a nice low rumble at idle but opens up real crisp with an awesome pull through 4000 RPM.

Scot

I have the high flow cats , Magnaflow Res. and duel borla pro XS Stainless mufflers and it has a deep tone to it, its not ricy at all.

well I don't have cats, and from what I am hearing, no 2 mufflers can take out the tinny sound without putting in a resonator. I wanted to avoid doing this, because I bought a nice flowmaster y pipe that goes from 2.5 to 3" and all the exhaust is custom... oh well...

Back