atten blksc

M

mercury65

you need to scan for fault codes because those trannys monater alot of stuff all it takes is a flat spot in your tps or if you have a bad abs sensor in the rear and many other things, it can make it seem like your trany is going out saw a for truck that you could swear the tranny was going out but it was a bad abs sensor in the rear

o yea by the way go to a pontiac dealer to get the sc oil its like 8 bucks a bottle in stock and ford want 13 and might have to order it

scanner ?

HOw does one scan for fault code ? how much does a scanner cost ?

Re: scanner ?

some one in the sccosc in your area might have one i know manny does but he is farther out then i m

Oh ?

Hey, i would still want to scan the car for codes even though it seems to be back to its old soft shifting self after the computer relarn procedures.

well

merc brought mannys to the track at the meet, so how about someone just bring one to the cruise, or ot he next track meet after the cruise and u can check it there. it wouldn't be a bad idea to have that at the track...if i do enough mods i might get a tuner and bring that, but wed need to get files and other stuff

al

just thinking out loud

Cool!

Although i wont be able to cruise with you guys up the coast, i plan on showing at the queen just to meet everyone. Hey Manny does your scanner have the lcd screen or just the light codes ?

scanner

his only has the light and you ahve to count beeps, but believe me, even tho, merc the baron and i messed up and forgott a bunch of steps, we were still able to count them and find out my car has no codes

al

Codes

I've got a scanner (displays numbers) that I usually keep in the car and I'll bring to the meets. Meanwhile, it's easy to check codes by counting flashes of the check engine light.

Here's a good FAQ: pub29.ezboard.com/fthunde...D=20.topic

Engine light

I am not getting a check engine light. I have no lit up indicators. The car just seems to slightly buck after changing gears. Sometimes it does it and sometime it doesnt. I have decided to do a full tune and check up this weekend. Its been awhile since i've changed my plugs,wires and trans fluid so im gonna do all of that before i commit to a trans shop for help

Re: Engine light

does it feel like your going over rail-road tracks when it shifts? It could be TCC shudder. I had to replace my trans due to that.

Yes

Yes it does, but its very faint, not a strong jerk at all. And the killer is that it doesnt happen all the time. what is TCC ??

Re: Yes

TCC is Torque Converter Clutch shudder. It is a flaw in the R470W or is it R4W70? The time you will most notice it is on the 3-OD shift. If you catch it early it is preventable. Post some more info if you have it.

Trans

It seems it does it more on the 2-3 shift. the tricky things with trans shyt is its hard to tell if the engine is bucking or if the trans is not acting right. Im trying to eliminate all the easy fixes so im gonna replace wires (been about a year) and change oil in SC and change fluid/filter in trans. If that doesnt work then i'll take it to trans shop. I also suspect i have a faulty plug in one of my cyl's

Re: Trans

hmmm now im lost, do you think its engine related or transmission related?

al

IM leaning.,.

Im leaning more towards engine. but how can i be sure. All i know is that if i 'gun' it this mofo stands up and shoots like a roman candle, but when im slowly coasting i get the real faint bucking. Youre not the only one lost !

Re: IM leaning.,.

so hi end good but low end bad, have you checked the obvious, like crank and cam sensors, dis module, plugs and wires, vac leaks, hg's and oil consumption???

al

Hmm

yea the problem happens on the low, not hard throttle. but its not everytime. And i dont know how to check those things. Oil consumption though is low and normal.

Re: Hmm

well here is my recomendation,

there are a lot of things that can be wrong with your car and it is hard to diagnose from behind the desk :) So check out as much as you can on the tech boards, you will find a great wealth of wisdom on some of the threads there (Lord knows i did) also, try picking up a manual, Haynes is somewhat decent but try to pick up a Chiltons. They have a section for trouble shooting and its mildly helpfull. OR bring it over to one of our houses and have us take a look at it for ya. Chances are it is something small, but if you beat the crap out of it or if it has a lot of miles, it may be something major.

al

Lets fix it!

hey Al, i agree, the only way to actually find out whats wrong is to get dirty. someone suggested taking it to aamco because they have free diags. If your inviting' them im a coming.. i would mind a lil SC grudge work to try and figure this out. I have always wanted to ride in another SC to see if its as quick as mine.

Back