AOD...To drive, or overdrive?

Jeremy_K

hey guys, i have heard both sides of this story for 4 AOD trannies now. I just had my tranny rebuilt by a good shop. the old dog who runs the show there told me on my test drive to "always leave it in overdrive". now i have also been told and read that you are supposed to leave it in drive until cruising at highway speeds. is there any scientific or mechanical reason to use one or the other? i don't have an original owner's manual so it may say something in that. someone let me know before i fry another AOD. thanks -jeremy

Noreason to use OD unless you are crusing above 65mph for a long distance.

Seems like too me that the less you use OD the longer it will last. My buddy with a 4R70W always shuts his overdrive off when in town and using his passing / 3rd gear.

Run in Drive in town-OD above 50mph

Has the man who rebuilt your tranny also mentioned switching to the A+ servo. using the Sonnax o-ring servo piston and switching to the 2" band (can only be used on the stamped steel drum)?

There's a number of things that you can do to improve the transmission life. Absolute #1 is to get a decent aftermarket cooler, and flush/change fluid & filter every 30K-make sure to use Mercon V also.

aod 2 doa

you will find just under 50 mph the O/D will kick in and out ...which is a pain in the city ...also can be dangerous ..I found out ...throwing it into a turn in O/D and feeding it constant thottle ..the damn thing will down shift ..as the car digs in ...upsetting the balance of the car ..and putting me into oncoming traffic .. nothing was coming.. ...so I now drop it into drive ..if I'm going to get on it...dave

Re: Noreason to use OD unless you are crusing above 65mph for a long distance.

stocker 89 said:
Seems like too me that the less you use OD the longer it will last. My buddy with a 4R70W always shuts his overdrive off when in town and using his passing / 3rd gear.
Here's the problem w/ the Ford AOD tranny... too small main valve.. If you drive in in "D", it will wear it out sooner and you'll have slippage.

Even though its not as much fun, Always drive in O/D, and let it push the fluid internally like it was designed to do. O/D will shift normally out of 3rd and into 4th at speeds above 45 unless you're holding down the gas pedal. If you do decide you need control of 3rd gear, consider a rebuild and replace the main body valve.

i had a 2" kevlar o/d band installed along with a transgo shift kit. i plan to get a cooler pretty soon. yesterday i went to get a 10 day checkup at the shop. a different guy drove my car this time and i noticed he left it in overdrive around town.

I agree with TbirdSCFan.

My '90 SC (bought new in '90) had over 96K on the clock before I started mod'ing it. I rarely had it in anything other than OD unless I was playing and never had any problems.

Lee

Back