Dual Exhaust

SlushNaz

Does anyone have true dual exhaust running on there street SC? Because i have been told it just can't be done for various reasons is this true ?

Yes, there are a lot of true dual exhaust set-ups out there. Bottom line is the fuel tank. 89-91 tanks were slightly larger and the exhaust "wrapped" around the tank. In '92 the exhaust received a more direct path allowing for dual 2-1/2's to fit through the channel in the tank. You just can't bend the dual 2-1/2's (or dual smaller pipes either) around the gas tank. Upgrade to the late model tank an you can run true duals.

Also check the FAQ section. I think there is a description of the difference between the years...

Last edited:
Enlighten me on this whole gas tank swap i've heard of being done alot, but how much of a bitch is it to do and how much is it gonna run me ?

My friend has true dual exhaust on his 90 coupe high flow cats, x-pipe, and borla mufflers, and my other boy had true dual with stock cats, x-pipe, and flowmasters on his 89 cougar. the shop that did them both did and awesome job. the place is named Mighty Muffler and i believe it is in Aston, Pa. They also did my s10 extreme with high flow cats x-pipe and borlas and that sounds bad *** too.

If you're going to go through the effort, there's a couple things to keep in mind.

1) don't buy a new tank from the dealership...they're well over $1k!
2) change the tank when you're low on fuel...it'll make it easier
3) go a head and change the fuel pump while you're doing it...2 birds...1 stone
4) when you get the tank from a salvage yard, make sure to get the straps. I think the passenger side is the different one, but grab both to be safe.
5) search for a '93 and up tank as the '92 tanks had some problems with the baffles
6) be ready to do your exhaust...the old exhaust won't fit once you put in the newer tank.

I don't have a clue how much it will run you. I haven't done it, but did look into it. I'm planning on keeping my tank and going with a single 3" around it. That will flow enough for my requirements, with greatly reduced backpressure. And it is much cheaper. Just keep in mind if you were planning on deleting the resonator...many put it back in. The drone is pretty bad at around 2k-2500 rpm. I'm not sure what a dual inlet/outlet resonator runs, but I'm going to guess in the $150 range...New pump...$100~Exhaust shop... that depends greatly on where you live...and the fuel tank also varies greatly depending on location. Call around to a few salvage yards and ask what the price would be for the tank. Specify '93 and up T-bird/Cougar/Mark VIII (Lincoln). You may have to actually go year by year like I do with the morons around here, but they'll be able to find a price for you.

You will need the tank and straps from a later model car to make the swap. Price depends on how much you can find it for. You can use any year from 92’ on up but be careful as some of the early tanks (like 92) can have problems with the baffling in the bottom of the tank. If you need more info use the search function on the top right of the page. This topic gets covered a lot, along with dual exhaust questions. There are a lot of pictures on other threads.

Jeff

you might want to go with a fuel cell for total clearance, they're available just about any size...

Exhuast1.jpg

Exhuast2.jpg

Exhuast4.jpg

2.5" Duals, Dynomax high flow cats and mufflers.

Thomas

Back