diff mount swap - surprises - *pics

tbird88

As some of you might know, I've been messin' around tryin' to get a line of polyurethane parts goin' and the first piece was a differential mount. Well, between all the SC stuff I try to accomplish and the gf and the cats and the house and day to day life I actually took the time to work on my own car. Yep, no kiddin'!
I had access to a friend's lift so I put my '94 5spd in the air to finally do the diff mount swap, found a surprise along the way. The batch of pics below will tell most of the story but here's a few details.

First thing I noticed was the top layer of rubber in the center of the original mount had been grazing the subframe. Mount isn't busted but was evidently flexing enuff to rub every now and then.
Second thing was the drastic difference in metal thickness of the late mount compared to the early mount. The early mount I installed is easily twice the thickness of the later version so I felt good about puttin' in a somewhat heavier duty part.

Moral of the story...even if you replace the diff mount on your 94-up with one from a partshouse (instead of one of mine) ya might wanna look into specifying that you want one for say an '89 or '90. By the way, I don't know what year the thinner mounts might've been phased into use as far as the break point concerning year of car. Any info on this would be appreciated.

I still have sloppy upper control arm bushings so the wheelhop is still present but feel much better not only because of my "new" mount being polyurethane but also because it's made out of thicker metal.

'bird

Closeup of where the old mount was rubbin' on the subframe due to flexing under torque.
94swap0906.jpg

Coupla side by side comparison shots. Late mount looks kinda dinky doesn't it?
94swap0926.jpg

94swap0936.jpg

Old rubber mount on its way out, new polyurethane mount installed.
94swap0896.jpg

94swap0946.jpg

Wynn,

I was wondering if you would be interested in offering a group purchase on your rear diff mounts? I'd be willing to help organize.

Thomas

Originally posted by MIKE 38sc
Wow! Thats a nice looking bracket you make there TBird.
Thanks, it was a labor of love until it came to installing it. For some reason, those boltheads on the top of the subframe are a bugger for me to hold a backup on so usin' the lift helped bigtime.

'bird

Originally posted by Thomas A
Wynn,

I was wondering if you would be interested in offering a group purchase on your rear diff mounts? I'd be willing to help organize.

Thomas
Thanks for your interest, I could do 5 for 250 + shipping. Only got 3 cores at the moment though.

'bird

just so you all know that part is obsolete from ford, I snapped mine in half, I guess ( wheel hop ?? ) I got a new one from the few that are still left.

Hey Wynn

hey Wynn

very sweet dude!

I can see that you are low on that core so should we send ours
or do you fabricate them yourself

David

"Strong Wynn Supporter, down tubes, IC Gaskets, he's Damn Good!!"

Thanks for your interest, I could do 5 for 250 + shipping. Only got 3 cores at the moment though.

So is that $50 each or $250 each? I have two cores from 1990 SC's that I could donate to the cuase.

Thomas

I've started a thread in the GP Forum. Let me know if everything looks okay Wynn. I'm going to go out an pull those two cores today.

GP INFO

Thomas

Back