dissapearing coolant? odd or odd?

darkstar_one

i see my coolant is mysteriously dissapearing... making me thinnk if i should save for my HG's job... hmmmm can it be just the radiator cap? i mean the damn thing is almost 12 years old and i doubt it if the previous owner ever changed it... someone let me know please... pretty please... with sugar on top....

also... my car is not leaking oil or anything else... i know my car... if it is overfilled it will spill out the oil to a safe level... wink wink..

First, check for small coolant leaks. Common places are the thermostat, overflow tank cracks, hoses (including bypass), waterpumps, radiator tank seams, ect.

Next, if you suspect a larger problem, check the condition of your coolant & oil. Are they discolored? Do you have higher than normal oil levels?

Lastly, do you mean the previous owner did not appear to maintain the cooling system? If the coolant was never or rarely changed, this is very bad. Have you changed the coolant? Was it translucent green, or dirty and polluted? Did the new coolant quickly become contaminated? Is there sediment buildup in the overflow tank?

Hope that helps..

Back