Motor mount ?

dkmac

Hi, I am about to change my motor mounts. Before I purchased a set I wanted to get some imputs about the solid rubber mounts that is on supercoupeperformance.com . Do they have an increase in vibration and do they last longer than the fluid filled? In other words are they worth the wait and money? Thanks and God Bless.

There are numerous posts regarding motor mounts, fluid-filled and solids. All of them favoring for solid mounts!

I purchased my set of solids from MN12 Performance after breaking two previous fluid-filled sets. I bought them earlier in the year and so far so good, very little difference as far as feeling any vibration from the engine and its very smooth. Peace of mind goes a long way too. I also purchased the solid tranny mount and the poly transmission crossmember support bushings to shore everything up under there.

Yes, worth the money and the wait (which isn't much and not that long)

Good luck.

Thank you iaragon. You gave me the peace of mind that I was looking for, and the mounts you showed me is the cheapest set that I have seen yet out of both fluid and solid mounts. I am definatly going to get the ones you gave me the link for. Thanks again and God Bless.

There can be little doubt that there will be some increased vibration with solid motor mounts. But since most people have been driving their T-bird with crushed mounts anyways, it often doesn't add any vibration that people can feel. Since the SC engine is balanced internally, it does fairly well.

I also purchased my mounts from MN12Performance and had good service.

Keep in mind that the solid mounts, in general, cause the engine to sit slightly higher. This has been a surprise for some people that had raised SC tops that were close to the hood before the mount change. I didn't have any troubles on my car as my top was still stock. And most raised tops sold today won't rub either.

SuperCoupePerformance sells some solid mounts that are supposed to result in the same engine mounting height as the stock fluid filled mounts. For those with a clearance concern, they are a great option.

I got my mounts from rockauto.com (solid) for $22 a piece. They sell the hydraulic ones too for about a buck more. They are made by Westin and I am happy with them. Just in case you were looking for a better price.

Solid motor mounts are definately the way to go. Case in point: I am currently in the middle of an extensive rebuild, my stock motor mounts were junk. Anyway's come to find out that since the motor sits so close to the frame saddle it was actually wearing on the oil pan. If I would of waited any longer I'd probably be replacing an oil pan and who's know what else.

I must say they are worth the money and time for everyone.

Another consideration

While I don't disagree with the previous posts, you should consider what type of driving you'll be doing with the car. If it's normal, everyday driving and a comfortable ride is important then you may want to give more consideration to the stock set up.

I have also pondered this question as I have just had my mounts replaced. I could tell a noticeable difference once I realized my original stock mounts were giving out on me. I've always liked the original ride of the car and wanted to maintain that, so I decided to get new stock mounts. I made it 100k miles on the originals on my 94. So hopefully, I'll get at least same amount on the new ones. It was tough to go with the stock set-up though since almost everyone goes with the solid ones. I just didn't want to take the chance of having any extra vibration. For me, the vibration on my sagging mounts was especially noticeable while car was idling

The only way you are going to be able to tell a difference is if you installed both types the same day and test drove both set ups. I don't remember of anyone that has done said tests, but I think that the "extra" vibration was probably a calculated one, not by experience. What I'm really getting at is that the solid ones will last longer and be just as good as the stock ones. And I seriously doubt anyone could tell there was any more vibration over the stock ones. My advice is get the solid ones.

Keep in mind that the only problem is related to the torquing of our engine that occurs. This causes the fluid mounts to tear. Once they tear, the fluid runs out and the mounts compress.

You could likely keep the fluid mounts if you make some effort to restrict the motion of the engine. The driver side mount bracket has a mechanism designed to restrict movement. The problem is that the bumper inserted into the bracket falls off, allowing too much movement again. Some people have welded a piece of box steel in place of the rubber bumper to restrict engine movement. Other people have attached a chain or torque strap.

Thus you could stay with fluid filled mounts if you just find a way to restrict excessive engine movement.

Back