front end noise?

trailsforus

When turning my front end sqeals a whole lot and I looked at the bushings and they are pretty much gone on the A -arms . All of the front suspension bushings look bad. So I was wondering what type of tools I need for fixing this? Anything out of the ordinary . I have all regular sockets and drivers...and jacks stands and jacks. Anything special I need to rent or buy? Also what would be a good manual with picture diagrams and other helpful information on this. I am not illiterate when it comes to cars but I have never worked on a ifs car..mainly solid axle Jeeps.

Is this a very tough thing to do? Changing all the bushing dont seem very hard I just want a second opinion. Is there anything else I need to look for while I am under there? thanks a lot ahead of time

-Dillon

EDIT: just letting yall know it is a 1994 lx V-8

Dillon, it is not rocket science. If you have worked on solid axle jeeps in the sense of installing lift kits and such, then you are quite capable of rebuilding the front end. You will need some large open end wrenches and sockets. I purchased an oversize adjustable wrench and it works just fine. You will also need the Haynes manual for specs and procedures as there are some items to be aware of, such as; not torquing the lower shock nut until weight is on the vehicle. Whether urethane parts are better than oem replacement is debatable IMO. I have used urethane with some satisfaction as well as some dissatisfaction. Rich has improved the lower control arm bushings design so they are better. Unless you have an arbor press you will need to take the lower control arms to a machine shop. Pressing the new bushings in is a task. I would not use urethane at the strut rod to lower control arm - use the oem.

If you intend to replace the ball joints you will need a ball joint seperator. You can use a pickle fork since you are throwing them away. All of this is in the manual. This is also a good time to check your rack bushings. Again, i am not sure I would use urethane. It's all just heavy work if you know what i mean. Go ahead and do it yourself if all your concerned about is technical difficulty. Larry

Back