smoking clutch..

SCBiscuit

last time i drove my car i had a shifter failure.. it left my clutch partially engaged some how.. when i held the shifter into 1st and push hard it would grab the flywheel better.... my clutc smoked is this a bad thing .. i mean did i damage it beyond driving.. i could smell the cooking clutch. (its aftermarket.. mystery brand .. the previous owner put it on and doesnt remember what it was. "stage two" centerforce maybe..)anyways when i get my short shifter put on im worried that the tranny was damaged.. the shifter ball had come put of the tranny and was flopping around .. cuz bad tranny work so the shift points were way out of sync......

If the clutch was engaged then that's probably why you couldn't get it into gear. Could you restate the problem. Be specific.

Jeff

PS if your brakes don't work that well, as in the accumulator is shot (your ABS and brake light flash when you press the brakes) Don't drive it or you WILL wreck it.

hope this is in english..i type wierd

well i was jammin the car from 1st to second.. and heard the gears mashin'.. after that i had a hardtime trying to get into first it was like the clutch would barely engage for 1st and second... and the car would get very low rpms. 3rd 4th 5th were good. afterr a while i could smeel the clutch cookin... i had to get the car back home.. in order to get the clutch to seem to grab i figured out that i need to push and hold the shifter to 1st really hard to get reasonable clutch traction. then after my last shift i couldnt get out of first gear. the shifter had jumped out of the ball socket for the tranny..due to loosebolts from some previoius idiot. im hoping with the new shifter the car will behave normally. but im worried about the aftermath of the slipping clutch heating up to the point it smelled and smoked

Sounds like you have several problems. I am still a little hazy about what you were doing. The shifter has nothing to do with how much the clutch engages this is controlled by the pressure plate. The pressure plate mashes the clutch against the flywheel. The clutch drives the input shaft of the trans.

Check the fluid level of the clutch master cylinder. It’s located next to the cowl on the drivers side it has a black cap and the bottom is white.

Rebuild the shifter. Do a search for M5R2 shifter rebuild. Chances are that it needs it.

You can’t turn the flywheel too many times or you will have problems. If it has been turned more than once it may be too thin. What happens is the pressure plate assembly moves away from the slave cylinder and throwout bearing and makes it harder to disengage the clutch. Which makes it harder to get it into gear with the engine running.

Jeff

Take a look at the FAQ you will find a lot of useful information.

J57ltr said:

You can’t turn the flywheel too many times or you will have problems. If it has been turned more than once it may be too thin. What happens is the pressure plate assembly moves away from the slave cylinder and throwout bearing and makes it harder to disengage the clutch. Which makes it harder to get it into gear with the engine running.

Jeff

Most cars have a shim in there anyway to make sure all the parts are in the right place. If your flywheel is thinner, can't you just use a thicker shim?

I have heard from a bunch of people that you cannot use a shim on these flywheels because it will create a weak point in the center of the flywheel. Is this true?

Matt

im just as confused as you guys... im replacing the shifter first... if strange clutch thing doesnt go away then i know something reeks

I'll ask around. I really doubt it's true since you have to do something besides replace the whole flywheel.

JEff

Spoke (emailed, whatever) with XR7 Dave, he had a great idea. Shim the slave cylinder instead of the flywheel.

I am pretty sure that there are shims for the flywheel, and it would cause you to have less thread engagement. So depending on how much you need to shim if it’s not over .065 you should be alright with the shim under the flywheel. But Dave’s idea is better.

Jeff

Back