Need competent mechanic

Wheezer SC

Gentlemen, I have a friend in the San Diego area who is having difficulty with her 90 SC. She bought the car new and it seems to me that the local Ford dealer is trying to rip her head off on repairs. Anyone out there up to helping her out? She has a short in the wiring for oil pressure and the accumulator/booster is supposedly in need of replacement. The car has no warning lights on and is throwing no codes but they have given her an estimate in excess of $ 2,500.00 for repairs they claim she needs. They went so far as claiming the car was " unsafe to drive". Please be forthright and honest in your recommendations as she needs no more hatchet jobs from questionable repair facilities. My words, not hers. Thanks again, Dean

Dean, you may find more luck posting this in the SoCal forum. Also, a direct way to contact her or you for more info would make things much easier. There are several people who would be happy to assist her that dont live in the San Diego area, but need more detail about the problem.

Paul

San Diego

Dean, I live in Lemon Grove and work on North Island. I'm not a pro mechanic but I'll help in any way I can. I have an 89 and 90 SC so I am familiar with the layout. Call anytime 619 589 0948 or 619 990 2226. JJ or Kim.

A few quick questions....

What did your friend take the car to the dealership for in the first place? Was there a specific problem? or was it just for some kind of routine maintenance?
Who determined there was a "short" in the Oil Pressure guage wiring? What is the guage doing that indicates the problem.
Is the Accumulator/Booster indicated in your post referring to the ABS accumulator? If so, that is basically a 30-minute/$100.00 DIY repair. But, there should be some indication of the problem on the instrument panel (the Brake and ABS warning lights should flash in sequence whenever the brake is applied if the accumulator is shot).

Remember, just because someone says your car has problems doesn't mean it does. Easy money is a great motivator for some folks.....

Dean,
I live in the LA area and would be more than willing to help. Have her shoot me an e-mail so I can hear the story first hand.

Mike (Cal5mcd@charter.net)

Back