Harmonic Balancer bolt

35th T-bird SC

One of my bolts broke when taking my balancer out. When I get it out I will need a bolt. Trouble is , do I have to go to the dealer to get this bolt. It has 10.9 on the bolt head which I can't find anywhere at any store. I don't want to mess around with a balancer and put something different in. Where have you guys got hardware like this?

Which bolt broke? The big center bolt or the smaller pulley bolts. For the big center bolt, go to the Ford Dealer and get one from a 94-2004 3.8L mustang.

From sccoa parts listing

F58Z 6A340 A
Crankshaft pulley bolt, replaces D4FZ 6A340 A

No it's one of the four smaller bolts that goes right through the damper. Metric, has 10.9 stamped on the head and about 1.5" long. That was a nice link though.

F58Z-6A340-A

F58Z-6A340-A

This is the bolt that holds the Balancer to the Crankshaft.

Some how when I posted that number it got EDITED wrong.

That number is "One PKG of 3 PCS" you get 3 bolts

This bolt is not the right one for the SC motor it is for NA.
It is a bit longer but has worked for me twice

I need one of the four bolts that hold the pully on the balancer. They have 10.9 on the head. I guess i will call the dealer because no one knows what i'm talking about.

You will have to get a generic 10.9 grade bolt from a hardware supplier. Ford does not service those 4 smaller bolts separately, because they sell the damper and the pulley together as a unit.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

I've been to home depot and napa and carquest and they don't have any. I can't believe it's this hard to find a bolt. Maybe I can try a junk yard.

Hey I'm interested in the shifter rebuild kit. Do you got a part number for that. Ford told me there was no rebuild kit. Just curious.

re: shifter

Ford doesn't sell all of the shifter pieces together as one, that's something that I've just set up a package price on for the Canadian gang.

When I'm back at work tomorrow, I'll get the numbers for you.

Also try a search on that topic, I believe there should be a few threads on the process of doing that repair.

As for the bolts, check your phone book for a local hardware supplier. Usually there will be companies that supply hardware for industry usage, the only drawback is sometimes they will have a minimum dollar value for an order, meaning that if you get one bolt or ten, they still charge $10 or whatever.

cheers
Ed N.

Last edited:
I appreciate it; I was going to buy a B&M ripper but I want to keep this bone stock 35th as original as possible. I try the fastener stores after I try the junk yard. Maybe I'll find an old Cougar or LX with this hard to find bolt. Is the 10.9 on the bolt head the tensile strength? I know it's not size because I've seen 8.8's that were bigger diameter.

If you have a Pepboys, they usually have 10.9 grade bolts. If you can't find anything else, Allen head screws are usually 12.9 grade.

re: shifter bits

Numbers you will need for the shifter are :

E8TZ 7E018 A shim, package of 4
1L2Z 7Z120 AA washer, 2 pieces
E9SZ 7277 A boot, 1 piece
1L2Z 7228 AA "spring", 2 pieces

If you need to replace the three small screws holding the lower boot down, they are available as E9SZ 7A443 A, package of 3 pieces.

cheers
Ed N.

Back