atf goes in the shifter housing???

SCBiscuit

Haynes is such garbage..... when i replace my shifter do i refill the shifter housing with atf fluid.. on my rx7(mAzda) i was supposed to... i have none in the SC right now but everything is coated with it may have come out during the shifter failure.

Nope the fuild for the shifter is common to the rest of the tranny.

However, having the shifter off it's a good time to change the tranny fluid since you can simply pour the new fluid through the shifter hole rather than pumping it up into the hole in the tranny.

no atf in the tranny?

so if i couldnt see any atf in the shifter portion does this mean i have no fluid in my tranny???? i can see that the shifter linkages are soaked in it but i dont see any actual fluid did it slosh out when i was flooring it during the failure of my shifter(the bolts that hold it down came out taking my shifter out of gear)

Do you have a 5-speed or an auto. It sounds like you are talking about a manual transmission, but keep saying ATF?

Thomas:confused:

dude i didnt even realize that

yeah i meant manual damn i dont know why i keep saying atf... tranny fluid..oil how much fluid goes in??? 5-speed

That's normal.
I didn't see any fluid in mine either when I rebuilt the shifter.
I wouldn't worry about it. Just put in your new shifter and close it back up. The reservoir for your manual trans fluid level is on the drivers side firewall. Check the level there.

I don't have a tranny fluid reservoir on my car, I wish I did. There are two plugs in the drivers side of the tranny casing, drain and fill.

Drain the the fluid out via the drain plug, put it back in, take out the fill plug and pour ATF through the shifter hole until fluid comes out of the fill plug hole, replace the plug and your good to go.

I think it did take about 5 quarts plus a shot of friction modifier.

Last edited:
somewhere around 4 but no more than 4 1/2 and it takes mercon III with 4 oz. of friction modifier. I opted to go with Redline D4 instead after doing a search on this subject. And the fluid reservoir that connects to the master cylinder is the DOT 3 brake fluid for the hydraulic line from the master to slave cylinder. Hope that makes things crystal clear, I always like my questions to be answered in full plus more info I might like to know! Any other questions I'll be able to answer them as I am doing a 5-speed swap right now.

manual trans fluid

The reservoir on the firewall is you Clutch master cylinder....that uses BRAKE FLUID ONLY! ... not ATF !....if you put ATF there you will be replacing the master cylinder and slave cylinder very soon. As for how full to fill the manual transmission, there is a fill plug on the side of most manuals (my SC is and AOD so i'm assuming the SC 5 speed has this....) and you just fill it up untill the fluid starts to come out of the fill plug. I've never seen any manual transmission with any kind of remote reservoir. The fill plug is probably half way up the side of the trans.......so a 'full' transmission will not have fluid all the way to the top.

As far as the capacity, the actual capacity is supposed to be 6.4 pints (3.2 quarts), so I don't know how you'd get 4 quarts to fit in there without it coming out of the fill plug hole (as long as it's on level ground, which it should be).

Dale

Back