Switch to synthetic oil? sorry long

ipeefreely

Hi, I got my Super Coupe back in May 2003 and I am looking for some SCCOA expert advises.

My car has about 113,000km (over 60,000miles) on it and I got it at about 103,000km. I've being changing my oil at around 3000 km each time (my VMM goes off) and the oil filter every second time. I use cheap oil -Castral GTX, because I change it often. The kms are mostly hwy driving because I workout of town during the week and travel back to the city for the weekend.

When I change the oil, it looks pretty dirty for only 3000km. I am wondering if I should switch to a synthetic oil to clean out my engine (oil passages and so forth).

So my main question is should I use a synthetic oil to clean out the engine for the next while or is this normal that the oil gets dirty that quickly.

I should note that I granny the car and don’t run it hard (mostly keep it out of boost unless I feel like having fun). The car was modded slightly before I bought it -5% pulley and high flow cats and Flowmaster exhaust + k&N air filter, removed air silencer. I don't think these would have any effect.

Thanks for reading this long post and any response will be apprehended.

Jay

yeah always use synthetic. castrol 5-30 syntec

I have been changing the oil on some import ford 4 cylinders here lately and what I have learned is the mobil 0-20 syn is real good stuff . looks like it is still usable after 1000 - 2000 over when it should have been changed . its thin

I have not seen that grade available...

I have not seen 0w-20 oil available in the stores. Or maybe I'm just blind.

At any rate, I run 5w-30 Mobil 1 oil in my car and change it and the oil filter every 3000-4000miles.

According to the owners manual, 5w-30 oil is good up to 100ºF and is good down to below freezing.

So it has a wide range and is suitable in the winter months. Unless you live in a southern enviorment, 5w-30 is basically good year round.

I also use Mobil One synthetic 5w-30; and change my oil every 3000 miles. Synthetic oil has a better retension capability for foreign particles in the engine, hence it will be cleaner than a conventional oil. After many miles of running a conventional oil, there is a possibility of slight leakage from common places such as valve cover gaskets, though most of this has been eliminated with rubber conditioners. It has higher flashpoints & heat tolerances, and is said to provide greater protection to all surfaces where friction is present. It is also said to better nuetralize foreign acidic compounds.

In my experience, it does run cleaner than conventional. However I have also found that engines run with conventional oil, when its changed every 3k, last a very long time. I think synthetic may simply be better at reducing wear. :)

well i got my SC with 90k on it. I changed to mobil 1 synthetic and mobil 1 oil filters. I did get a small leak from somewhere. Probably 2 small drops a night, nothing big. But other than that i wouldnt run anything else through my SC:D

i have always used synthetic and wouldnt run anything else.

I've been using Royal Purple 5w-30 with a mobil 1 filter for the passed 9k miles. I switched right when I got the car at 103k and I havn't had any problems. Royal Purple is supposed to be one of the "best performing" oils around. They claim it "ADDS HP" in their advertisement material... not sure if it's true or not.

It runs about $5 a quart from the local performance shop.

first of all Castrol GTX is not 'cheap oil', there is absolutely nothing wrong with using that if you can't afford synthetic. Just use a good filter (i.e. NOT fram! ) like WIX, NAPA GOLD, Motorcraft, etc..... and change your oil every 2500 to 3000 miles or at least twice a year if you dont put many miles on it. i dont know what that is in Km. Ignore the VMM they are all wacko! at first mine just would say change oil after 800 miles so i'd just reset it and keep track of the miles myself, but then the whole VMM went wacko , said that all the fluids were low when they werent, etc.... so i replaced it with a "VMM delete" panel from a buddy's parts car....

If you're not running boost much, the oil should last longer than that. It's possible that the previous owner didn't change the oil often enough, so there's carbon building darkening the oil more quickly than normal. Try getting a can of that '5 minute motor flush' (basically a quart of kerosene) and run it through RIGHT BEFORE changing the oil next time. Just don't drive with the cleaner in there, it thins the oil out and pics up all the crud.

I use Amsoil Syn 10w30 in the winter and 10w40 in the summer. The only reason to use 5w30 is fuel mileage. If you really want the motor to last longer, switch to a 10w40 or 15w50 in the summer/warmer months. Although it'll cost you about 1mpg.

I think ford's using 5w20 now they say it's they're own special synthetic blend. Currently I have just over 159,300 miles on my car and I run it pretty hard. Using 5w30. I'm gonna wait until after I put a new engine in and break it in before switching to synthetic. Some say not to if you have to many miles... Opionions on that?

Thanks for all the replys!

TBirdDriver Thanks for the link, it was very informative.

rookie94sc - That’s what I was going to do, wait until I need a rebuild (still on original head gaskets), break it in, then use synthetic.

I live in northern Canada (but not that far north!) and usually use 5w30, I was thinking of switching to 0w30 synthetic for the winter but it has been mild so far, averaging around -5C the past couple of weeks, so I'll wait until next oil change if need be.
I use a quality oil filter from Napa (Napa Gold its made by WIX I believe).

I know that the VMM is usually very off as far as oil changes (it should be around 5000km/3000miles not 3000km) but it helps remind me! It also seems around then my oil gets pretty dirty.

BlackbirdSC - Thanks for your reply, I think I'll try that next oil change and see how well it works. The car was very well taken care of, but like you said it appears like the previous owner did not change the oil as much as he should have.

Jay

I second the new motor thing. My 94 with only 85k was as tight as drum untill I used mobil 1. Then she started leaking slightly everywhere. Back to useing reg. oil but the damage is done. It seems to have slowed but any leak drives me nuts. My best advice is new motor, synthetic Old motor stay with SAE5w30
Just my .02

Back