HELP - Need maintenance

JRROSS

Recently made aware that The bird needs some stuff.....

3 of 4 springs are cracked...... rad is leaking....... battery is weak..... and tranny needs flushing......

Now I am thinking of doing the J-mod in the future so now may be the time if I need new fluid soon anyways.....

Can anyone reccomend the best way to proceed with this cost effectively with Xmas being upon us and all...... Thanks for the help guys.... figures right when Xmas comes, so does this S**t!

JR:mad:

Springs - you can fine someone that has recently lowered their car and still has their stock springs and use those. It's cheeper than buying new or lowering springs.

I have my original springs that came off my 95 SC when I installed the Eibachs. Not sure if they will work on your 97.

Tranny - not sure what needs to be done but if it's a simple fluid and filter chance....that should be no more than $120.00. If you are doing this yourself that I would say yes....do the J Mod now.

Rad - you can find some one that has an earlier model rad and get it all fixed up.....a few guys havd done that. I'm sure someone will post which shops can do the work. $250.00

Battery - buy a new one :) $80.00 ??

Battery

Hey, I realize you are kind of far away, but I would like to sell you my battery - Ford Motorcraft April this year.
I want to get an optima battery so can put it in the trunk, then put a remote oil filter where the battery used to be.
Problem is all of my cars have quite new batteries - what am I to do with them??
Pete Roy
Etobicoke

Battery

Hey Peter

what you want for the battery? If you may be in the area soon... let me know, If I am headed up.... will let you know.... Thanks.

Any other advice guys???? Thanks.....

JR

Battery

JR
I know I paid $85us - I had to buy a battery to bring the car home last april, so I didn't have much choice.
Let me figure out exactly how I am going to install a trunk battery, and we will work out a reasonable price.
Thanks
Pete

JR

I just had the tranny fluid changed in my Cherokee in St Catharines at King Transmission (corner of Ontario and Carleton, across from GM plant). Call first but most vehicles are $50 for the job. A nice, older Italian fellow runs the place.

For batteries, as long as you don't care that it isn't a Ford battery, check out Marc's Marine. He's on Kister Rd (off of Stanley behind Marineland -- 905-374-7289). He sells new blemished AC Delco batteries (seconds, I guess) for about $40.

For the rad, I'd check the local wreckers (Millers, 406 Auto Parts, Thorold Auto Parts, Caughill) or try the place on Bridge Street near the train station. They've rebuilt a few and seem to do a good job.

While you're on Bridge, check out Niagara Spring for the springs. Those guys are awesome and should be able to help!

Merry Christmas!

(I can say that with a smile on my face (hiding the tears) as I just spent $700 on the wife's car yesterday!) :eek:

Awesome

Thanks for all the help..... thats really gonna help..... will check them all out for sure.....

JR

JR - the SC springs will work fine for your Sport V8, they're the same spring rate, more or less. This would be an enormous help to you as pointed out above by Steve. Find someone who's removed them from their car and swap them over (again, Steve's name comes to mind). I KNOW there are at least four sets between SCCoO members at this time (if Steve can't come through).........Steve????

The J-Mod is relatively inexpensive and can be assembled completely through Ford pieces. Talk to Ed @ Fine's and he'll be able to help you with not only the J-Mod parts (ask him about the list I gave him) but also the (very highly recommended!!!) Mercon-V fluid. As with Peter i'd also recomend an aftermarket tranny cooler.

Things like the rad and battery....IMHO should be at the top of the list and purchased new. Sorry, but the SC rad is very different and cannot be used in our cars.

Hope that helps. Let me know how things are when your ready for the J-Mod. If you don't have someone to install it I can bring the stuff down and install it for you.

Viva LX!!!

lazybird4pt6 said:
JR - the SC springs will work fine for your Sport V8, they're the same spring rate, more or less. This would be an enormous help to you as pointed out above by Steve. Find someone who's removed them from their car and swap them over (again, Steve's name comes to mind). I KNOW there are at least four sets between SCCoO members at this time (if Steve can't come through).........Steve????

Sorry, springs are sold.

I might still have the springs off my '90 SC. ...If I didn't give them to Andrew V.

In the event it wasn't you, Jared, that got the springs from Steve P, and that you're still looking for a set, let me know.

Besides, I think I'm a little closer to you than Steve anyways.

Cheers,

Sean

SeanMatteson said:
I might still have the springs off my '90 SC. ...If I didn't give them to Andrew V.

Nope. I'm still undecided if I want to do this or not. I gotta do my front sway-bar first. Man, next spring is gonna be insane.

What a bunch of helpful guys, hey JR?!?!

I love this club.

Back