working on a friends xr7

tonyz2897

Hi everybody.
A friend just bought an '89 xr7 and due to some medical problems in his family doesn't have the time to work on it. I've decided to try to get it sorted out for him as a Christmas gift, but it seems that I've got my work cut out for me.

When I first started on the car, it had been sitting for quite some time and wouldn't run. So far, I've changed the plugs (they were all fuel fouled), drained the old (extremely stale) gas, replaced the fuel filter, put in a few gallons of premium, and changed the oil. It runs now, but very rough, and won't idle. It sounds like it's got a dead cylinder or 2, but if you hold it steady at about 2500 rpm, it will hit on the dead cylinder(s) occasionally. Any suggestions on what to check?

Also, there is a smaller hose coming off of the intake hose between the MAF and throttlebody which isn't connected to anything. I know that having any kind of vaccum leak downstream of the MAF isn't good, but I've been all over the top of the engine and can't find where it connects. If anybody could post a picture or a detailed description of where to connect the other end of this hose, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
Tony

tonyz2897 said:
Hi everybody.

Also, there is a smaller hose coming off of the intake hose between the MAF and throttlebody which isn't connected to anything. I know that having any kind of vaccum leak downstream of the MAF isn't good, but I've been all over the top of the engine and can't find where it connects. If anybody could post a picture or a detailed description of where to connect the other end of this hose, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
Tony

The hose that you are talking about sounds like the PCV line. The line runs from the intake tube all the way to the front of the driver side valve cover. It runs under the blower snout on its way to the valve cover. This hose can get disconected sometimes and could be a cause.

Now about the dead cylinder thing I could only say maybe a spark problem or bad injectors?

Re: Re: working on a friends xr7

quick35th said:
The hose that you are talking about sounds like the PCV line.

Yeah, I did some in-depth searching after I posted and found that out. :eek: The reason I was having so much trouble though is that the metal line that's supposed to run across the motor isn't there.:confused: Oh well, I'll just run a hose across now that I know where it goes.

The other problem still isn't straightened out though. I did narrow it down to being ignition related. The two towers on the coil pack closest to the pass. side are only firing occasionally. I replaced the coil pack and that had no effect. I'm guessing it's the ignition module, but nobody around here can test it. I went ahead and ordered an new one. Think that'll fix it?
Thanks,
Tony

I wouldn't be convinced that its the eec. Have you replaced plug wires? That would be the most obvious if your are experiencing intermittent firing on one cylinder.
Larry

I didn't replace the wires, but with the wire laying on the inner fender and a plug in it, it will fire fine when on one of the other towers, but put it on one of the two in question and it becomes intermitant. The insulation on the one wire I took off seems to be in fine shape and the resistance was close to the same as another wire the same length I had laying around.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Tony

Back