what is the mystery switch?

SCandelous95

I don't claim to be a SC knowledgeable guru but im no SC newbie either.

After pulling some fuses from my kickpanel tonight, i noticed just below the kick panel, on the plastic side panel to the left, by the hood release, a small silver switch that flips left and right and a black push button right next to it. They are very small and non discreet, but I have never noticed or seen them before....how did i miss these the whole time I had my car? Is it a factory thing or something installed afterwards....

I feel kind of silly asking, but its driving me crazy not knowing. anyone know what I'm talking about?

It's for an aftermarket alarm.

The switch is for putting it into Valet mode.

The button is for disabling the alarm in case you lose the remote.

Jeff

sc

hey dean, havent talked to ya in a while, do u have your SC back up and running again? love to see it out there on the streets,
-damon

Jeff

i know its been awhile. Jeff, I played with the switch and button for awhile to try get my alarm working but to no avail. That was with the car off, the other night, while at a stop light, i pressed it again, and flipped the switch. To my surprise, when I got out of my car and used my remote lock, my alarm worked again! I guess maybe the engine needed to be on?? I don't know, all I know is that it worked.

thanks for the tip and now i not only have my alarm working, but i know what the mystery switch is for. Just wanted to say 'much appreciated!'

Damon,

Good to hear from you, as far as my engine goes, everything is running ship shape. My engine loves this cold weather! I need to get my front brakes done, and look into my front end/suspension. I got a lot of slack and vibration. I was thinking of going to the track sometime soon, my girlfriends brother owns a shop in seguine who has a few mustangs running out there. So might make a visit to both. Anyways, I haven't been doing too much racing or car work these days, but won't hestiate to floor it at the light if a ricer or mustang gives me a couple of revs.

Hope all is well, and thanks again

Dean,

Yes the ignition switch must be on to make any changes to the alarm. If you have to disarm the alarm with the button you will have to turn the ignition on and press and hold the button until the alarm stops.

To enter and exit Valet Mode you have to turn the ignition on and them flip the switch. To exit Valet Mode turn the ignition on and flip the switch the other way.

Jeff

Valet mode is ,basically what it says. It's for valet's. It's different on some alarms, but most will just lock and unlock the doors, without arming the alarm. The LED on the dash indicates the status of the system. LED on all the time means it's in Valet mode.

Some systems will still keep the trunk button from poping the trunk. Some high end systems will still keep the trunk and hood armed.

Jeff

Back