Oil and filters, thank you

PETEp

I am getting ready to change my oil and filter. My car is not a daily driver 2,000 miles a year but I change the oil and filter twice a year anyway. When you guys talk about oil filters you don`t like Fram why? The first owner went to Ford for all oil changes so she got Ford 5-30 oil and Motorcraft filters. I use Fram oil filters on all my cars no problem, and I have been using Fram oil filter and Mobil Syn blend oil 5-30 for my SC. I thought the blend would be good after years of reg oil. the motor has never been touched just tune ups 98,000 miles and has the same HGs So it is up to you guys what should I use for my car I never push it hard. I want it to last forever, and I want to thank every one on this site it great to have a place to get all the info you need to keep our cars in shape to last for many years. Now that I am older its hard to keep up on all the new stuff thank you Pete

Why do people insist on buying these crap frams?

I have had them on my volkswagen and they caused dry knock starts every time I started the car. The drainback valve is not good, as well as the rest of the filter leaves alot to be desired. The motorcraft filter is excellent, why wouldn't you use a filter that is designed for your car?

Walmart sells the motorcraft filters for 3 bucks and the frams for 2.79 spend the extra dime and go motorcraft.

motorcraft....definately

im with justin on this one, go motorcraft for sure. oem is the way to go sometimes, i mean they make it for your car. thats what i use...just seems alittle bit safer i guess....my 2cents

To answer your question; it is mainly the result of several studies which were conducted in the past measuring various aspects of many brand name oil filters. The Frams were sometimes found to have a greater disadvantage in comparison. Also in a couple cases, some people had a negative experience using a Fram filter with their engine.

I had used basic Fram oil filters on a '97 Wrangler from the day it was new until about 140,000 miles. It now has about 170,000 on the 2.5L pushrod 4 cylinder AMC-derived engine, and it literally runs like new. I no longer use Fram, and my SC gets either Motorcraft or Mobil 1 synthetic filters, depending on financial factors at the time.

Basic maintainance is the greatest factor towards reliability in a car in my experience.

These links will lead you to the aforementioned studies:

Engine Oil Filter Flow Test

Engine oil filters

Engine OIl Filter Study

Engine Oil Filter Study (Updated)

Back