Autolite plugs

Callmewhitexr7

I just recently got a new motor put in my 89 cougar xr7 and the shop that installed the motor put in regular Autolite resistors with a gap of .040 and I was wondering if I were to change to the Autolite platinum or even double platinums would I notice a difference and what should I gap the plugs at since my car is completely stock. It seems to run fine the way it is now I can pull from a Z06 off the line but after that its toast. So should I keep the gap the same or take it to the stock .054 gap?? Thanks

NICK

what do you have done?

you had a z06 off the line....unless you got a good amount done to your car, a 405 hp (to the wheels) zo6 i think would take you off the line....just my opinion. Whats all done to this engine? did Christopher Wise build it???

on the spark plug question the part number taht i have is awsf32pp, it has changed but the guys at ford will know what it is, and its a short end one range colder plug double plat. cant remember the stock spark plug from for, just do a search you'll find it somewhere, i had a post asking once too.

i put autolite double platinums in my cougar. at the parts store they should ask you your VIN #. you do not gap the double platinums or you could break the electrode. they come pre gapped from the factory.

The regular copper electrodes of non platinum Autolites are actually said to have more conductivity than a pp or Dpp model, hence a stronger spark.

The main difference in platinum is the plugs longentivity. Regular plugs might last 5k, while Dps can last over 50 in this car. Many use the regular plugs who do not drive more than a couple K a year.

As for the gap, this depends on the modification status of your engine now & in the future. The stock gap is fine for a stock engine; but as you modify, it is said spark blowout/misfire can occur with this large gap setting. It is at this time that the gap is usually advised to around .47 or so.

The regular Autolite DP recommended for our cars is APP2544 I believe.

The motor in my cougar is completely stock. And yes i did get not only one but two z06's off the line, but like i said as soon as they hit 2nd I was done for. So should i get the platinum plugs or the double platinums? Thanks

NICK

yea...i dunno still seems a little sketchy taking a couple z06's off the line...

but yea got with double plats, for sure!

Sounds like the Z06's have wheelspin problems. I did that to T/A WS6 when my bird was stock, we both spun, hooked, and he left me. As far as plugs, I just installed my iridiums, and I love em.

Well no more racing the cougar for me, a drunk driver pulled out in front of me and I hit him. Which totaled the cougar. But thanks for everything. If anyones interested in the motor and tranny let me know. Thanks

NICK:(

double platinums are OE equipment in almost any car with DIS ignition, this is not unique to the SC , it's just that most cars still used distributors when the SC came out. The reason to use double platinum rather than regular platinum plugs is that on a DIS ignition the spark alternates directions on a given cylinder....in other words on a Distributor type ignition the spark always travels from the center electrode to the ground electrode, but on DIS it fires the other way....from the ground electrode to the center electrode.....half the time. So for long life you need both electrodes platinum, not just the center electrode... As hard as they are to change in the SC you certainly want long life out of your plugs!

Back