Is my ignition switch shot? Help Please!

SilverCoupe

Well, the other day I went out to goto work, started up my SC and the brake and antilock lights stayed on and my power brakes no longer worked. I checked the fluid level and it's right where it needs to be. I also noticed that my turn signals stopped working. Could that be related to this problem also? I did a short search for some topics on this, but not all of them seem to have my exact symptoms. Does anyone have any insight on this and maybe a fix? Thanks!

-Mike :cool:

They dont sound related but you may have blown a fuse. Check to see if your pump is running with engine off and key on. Pump the brakes and you should hear it run. Your relay may have gone south but that would have nothing to do with the turn signals.
Its also possable that your multi function switch is bad also.

I had the same problem on my car. Yes it was the switch in my case. I could move the key (rotate the switch) and the ABS pump motor would run and the lights would go out. Less than 20 bucks for the part.

If the pump motor runs too often or the light comes on after just a few pumps of the brakes your accumlator may be bad. A new ones about $110 shipped from Prior Remanufacturing

Do a search on the topic. As the CBS HDTV promo says. "Its All Here"

sounds like the ignition switch....my 94 had this pretty bad. as said above it's a relativley cheap fix.

p.s. - this also happened to my brother in laws 1989 SC. He took it back to the dealer to get it fixed and it came back worse, seems to be a common problem.

yea it is definitley a do it yourself fix, i only stated that my brother in law took it to ford was only because it was still under warranty.....not that it was a difficult repair. sorry bout that

-walter:D

Back