Engine hoisting question

35th T-bird SC

Where do you guys lift the engine from with the heads and valve covers on the motor? When I pulled it out I just used lifting hooks bolted into the head bolt holes on the block with old head bolts.

eye for an eye

seems they only put on 1 eye [lifting bracket] on ... I had a spare ..and bolted it ..to the other side manifold ...but there is no reason you can't use the manifolds ..and make a strap with a loop .. to hoist with ...the motor is really centered balanced well and not overly heavy ...so I would say ..I used the heads 3 times to lift with .. and no problems ...dave

I thought of that, but I'm scared to death to use the aluminum heads, exhaust holes I guess you're talking about; with the head bolts that stretch and everything?

exhaust manifolds

there bolted in six spots ..across the head ..so the weight is spread evenly ...and not just in one spot ...by taking the exhaust manifold off ...and just using 2 bolt holes .. don't do that...dave

I'd be a little concerned using the intake bolts. I think they're 8mm bolts if memory serves.

I also use the 'big' bolts in the end of the heads. The ones that hold the access. brackets on in the front and same in the rear. They're either 10m or 11mm and could probably lift the whole car. Just use grade 9.8 or higher bolts. A 9.8 metric bolt is similar to a grade 5 SAE bolt. I don't much care for grade 8.8 or grade 2 bolts for anything. They tend to bend or break easily.

Back