a "blonde" SC - never seen this...

tbird88

OK, so a guy drives a '94SC auto over to the hacienda last night. I need another SC like a hole in the head but I take it for a test drive.

Around the block and back into the driveway...
turn the key off...
engine runs for almost two seconds and then dies.

Yep, it happened. Car sat there and ran just like the key was still on, purrin' like a kitten and then with a 2-second delay finally shut off.
Nope, car ain't dieseling, it did what I said it did.

HUH?

'bird

I've had that problem before, see if an aftermarket fan has been hooked up wrong. Sometimes it will keep drawing current, maybe a slow relay or wiring.

Well I'll be danged...

Finally got a chance to run codes and check the data stream on the car this afternoon. Looked around under the hood and saw that the carlot dude had hotwired the main fan to run when the ignition was on. He had hooked the hotwire under one of the fuses in the power distribution box, that's a no-no.

So...The fan was inducing voltage through the ignition system via the hotwire hooked to the distribution box. When I shut the key off, the main fan was still spinning and was acting like a generator.
As the fan slowed to a stop, it produced less & less energy until there wasn't enough current to power the ignition and the engine would finally die. This is why the engine ran a second or two after the ignition switch was turned off, it was being powered by the fan :eek:

Lucky that setup didn't fry anything!

'bird

Attachments

• 94wht1366.jpg
    94wht1366.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 205
Back