ID on the blocks

scbird1

I think most of you know that the ford #`s are E for 80`s and F for 90`s. My question is that my 93 came with a motor with a E9 and my 94 came with a F1. So are the only castings 1989and 1991? If anyone has anything differnt let me know.

There are other casting numbers-what happens is the engine assembly plants will cast a set number of blocks each model year.

So what happens is the assembly plants end up storing a huge number of blocks to work with-and they go to the plants that need the 3.8L block.

That's why your 93 has a block cast in 89, and your 94 has a block cast in 91.

The casting numbers will vary depending on the inventory on hand at the time your car is built.

I was just wondering if there were any differences in the blocks
and if they cast a block in 94-95? Anyone have a block that starts out with a F4-F5 ?

I did some further research-seems that the engine assembly plants will keep a large inventory on hand, since several vehicles use the 3.8L block-the current inventory is a 2-year supply.

Based upon that, a 94-95 Super Coupe will have an F1-F3 block-the NA V6s should see the F4-F5 blocks.

Those are the correct numbers. They're not necessarily tied directly to a year the block was cast, but more to a 'run' or series of the block. Ford casts tens of thousands at a time, sets them out to season, then machines and uses them. So it's possible to have an E9 block cast in say 88 for the 89 model year and the same run of block could still be in use until 91... 92.. etc etc. The castings HAVE to season for an extended period of time before use or they buckle and warp when heat cycled. The old 351M/400's in the late 70's were horrible on main bearings and bore centers 'cause they were rushed into serive without being seasoned properly. And if they needed more block, but weren't updating anything, it wasn't uncommon for another run of the same block to be made years later. Say more E9 blocks being cast in 92 (which TECHNICALLY would be F2), but since no changes were made, the same E9xx casting would be used. Sometimes they added suffixes to the castings on the later pieces. Like say instead of E9SE on the first run blocks, it would be E9SE-AB on the second run.

Hope that makes sense.

Steve

Back