Cheap mods

jeffleeismyhero

I have added a K&N Cone filter and removed the air silencer and box. I am looking for some other cheap mods that I can do to my car. I have an extra SC, intake plenum, SC Top, and tubes laying around (not for sale) so I can have them ported without car down time. I want my mods to be stand alone, I dont want to ever be out of commision with my car because of a mod not being done yet. I know that my exhaust needs to be changed but what else can I do to increase my cars preformance? I dont have the money to buy a new SC top but I could carve out the spare I have (and add a spacer?). How hard would this be? What would I need to do it? Also the MAF could be carved out? Give me some suggestions.
Thanks,
Jeff

before doing anything to the car replace the resonator or youll blow a headgasket and willl end up being more expensive. good 10-15hp in the exhaust. and if you can remove the cats = free

then add a 5% pulley 70-80dlls. another 10-15hp and reclaim your lost hp clean the maf the inside of the TB check your blower fluid and if possible change the sparkplug wires ,and check for vaccum leaks you could be losing a solid 10hp in those things.

cheap mods

Recommended are:

1. remove cats, remove center muffler (referred by most as a resonator), retain back of exhaust system. If you can't stand extra muffler noise with resonator removed, consider 2 to 1 high flow cat or a couple straight through mufflers there.

2. RAM AIR system, install 4 inch black drain pipe from home depot sealed air tight to the stock air box oval opening (easy to do), and run to the front of the car.

3. PRO-M or C&L MAF

4. Next cheapest add on for best hp gain is magnaport II of your blower.

keep in mind that using a spacer between your blower and top is not beneficial and can actually hinder performance rather than improving. real raised tops have a larger exit for airflow, which are beneficial.
spacers just create a larger distance for the air to travel, and push air out through the same stock hole.
but like the other two said, exhaust should definately be done, maybe a set of gears, smaller sc pulley
do some searching, youll find lots of stuff

cheap mods
1 remove post in mass if you have a 91 and newer, cut it out and drill sampling tube with a 15/32 drill bit then reinstall mass sensor into maf body and leave the tin plate off of maf,

2 port blower top as much as you can smooth out ,and
match all ic tubes and such

3 port exh manifolds no need for headers till after 350 rwhp
and have high flow cats installed or gut them if you can get away with it

4 port blower inlet and outlet,

5 put on a ic fan

6 check the tb and make sure its getting full throttle most dont reach full throttlestop hits,

7 make sure bypass is closing all the way

mannysc said:
cheap mods
6 check the tb and make sure its getting full throttle most dont reach full throttlestop hits,

7 make sure bypass is closing all the way

How do you do steps 6 and 7?

Thanks!
Shane

how do you do the following:

1 remove post in mass if you have a 91 and newer, cut it out and drill sampling tube with a 15/32 drill bit then reinstall mass sensor into maf body and leave the tin plate off of maf,

2 port blower top as much as you can smooth out ,and
match all ic tubes and such

?? I need detailed instructions and/or pictures since I work on computers not cars :)

6 take inlet pipe off and look into tb unit open throttle and see if its opening all the way mine had a few degrees till full maybe just over 3/4 throtle. so I got a file and filed the tb stop to get full throttlethe aluminum files faster than the metal so it was my choice.

7 loosen the stop on bypass and see if it closes any then set so it just touches the stop and give 1/4 turn more it has no head on it so use a hacksaw blade and cut a groove across it like a flat blade screwdriver

Back