PDA

View Full Version : new tranny

FoX
12-22-2003, 01:56 AM
so I bought my SC in march of this year, replaced the engine thanks to a spun rod bearing in june, got it back and it was doing good till last month when the tranny started slipping. so now i have no forward gears, but park and reverse work fine. it was brought to my attention earlier in the year that after i replaced my engine it looked like it was sitting to low and someone told me thaat might have something to do with strain on the tranny.. i dont know.. i guess what i really need to know is if it'll be cheaper to rebuild mine (i heard it was better that way) or to look for another one. also, I'm betting the tranny from the LX wont fit, will it?

joenintiesc
12-23-2003, 05:21 PM
I'm not entriely certain, but I believe SC trannies may be a little beefier internal wise... The engine sitting low sounds like bad motor mounts, but that shouldn't really cause your tranny to die all of a sudden. How many miles on it? They do eventually give out.

Rebuilding can be expensive- $1200 to $1600. But the you have a (hopefully) good as new tranny if they've done the rebuild right.

Sometimes you can find a recently re-built one on the classifieds or ebay for a decent price.

You can get a Lentec Street Terminator for about $2200 which will kick butt.

http://www.lentechautomatics.com/trans.htm

Good luck!

kevenj90sc
12-24-2003, 11:57 AM
The AOD from an LX would fit but probably would not last long due to the increased torque the SC engine makes. I would get the original transmission rebuilt from a reputable Transmission shop (not necessarily the one with the fancy sign and the nice reception area......ask around your area ...good word of mouth is the best way to find a good shop)

As far as the cause of the failure, if it was fine before you rebuilt the engine, i'm betting that you did not get the TV cable adjusted properly when you re-installed the engine. This is not simply a 'kick down' cable, but controlls the upshift points as well. If it is not adjusted properly the trans will slip and once it starts slipping it bakes itself down real quick! My best friend owns a transmission shop and he sees relatively few AOD's come in compared to other transmissions....they are actually a very good transmission all in all....but of the ones that he sees in his shop, at least half of them failed because the TV cable was not adjusted right.