HG blown, need opinions

Berserk

So yesterday I believe my head gaskets blew. No coolant in the oil, but other than that, I believe I've had every sign. To the point where I've had very good indicaitons that there's water in a cylinder somewhere. So, assuming this is the correct prognosis, what is your suggested course of action for this problem?

As far as me rebuilding the engine at this point; I'm mechanically sound and understand the engine relatively well, but I've never done anything that major or involved before. I have a decent place to work for the next month, but my father, the only person I know that would be able to help with this kind of work, is on travel for those three weeks. So I'd more or less have to do it alone.

So...
1) How much mechanic time does replacing the head gaskets tend to run?
2) How much time could I expect to spend doing it myself? Should I consider this one?
3) Would anyone be interested in a '90 SC with blown HGs and high miles, but otherwise in pristine condition (paint is rough on the roof, trunklid, and mirrors)
4) How much could I expect to make parting it out? I would feel ok pulling parts off. (If I don't have to get it working again, no problems)

So, opinions?

If nothing else is wrong and you have all the parts you need beforehand (Head bolts, Gaskets, all the right tools) you could probably do it in a weekend.

For sure in three days, no problem.

It all depends on how good a tool set you have, how good a mechanic you are, and marking every wire, bolt nut whatever, so you know how it all goes back together. If you have a digital camera, take pix & notes as you pull it apart.

As far as parting it out or selling it as is, everybody and his brother is parting out an SC. Go on Ebay and see. Count on having an half disassembled hulk on your hands for quite a while. You'll sell stuff like the DIS and ABS fast, and then spend the next 6 months updating your "Parts For Sale" list on SCCOA.

And even running SC's are a dime a dozen for the time being. I'm afraid that your car is most valuable to you as transportation, and that only after you get it running. The good news is that the Gasket set and head bolts are pretty innexpensive for the HG.

Or you could take it to a local mechanic. Going rate seems to be between $1100.00 and $1500.00 for HG replacement.

word of caution use a good six point socket on head bolts to remove them. and have a good selection of extensions .

as the ones near brakes is a hard one to get to

Or if your like me and you only want to tear it apart once. You see you need new engine mounts, plugs, wires, egr, pcv, radiator, water pump, belts, SC oil, then you may as well pull the motor because water in the oil destroys bearings so you do main and rod bearings then piston rings then timing chain and front and rear main seal and upper and lower radiator hose because you could'nt possibly put this thing back together with worn out parts could you? All of a sudden it's a ton of money and two months! Next purchase- 2 new O2 sensors at $35 a piece

You ain't kidding! My head gaskets were going, and I tore it down a year and a half ago. how about headers? well, maybe should get the heads done. Well hell, might as well get a motor built so I can take advantage of the new heads. How about an MP II and FMIC, to take advantage of the new motor & cam?

Of course I need big brakes to stop this beast, right? That means new wheels, but I better lower it now so that the wheels don't rub...

What a dumbass I am!

Same thing with me. Needed to do the clutch, and well while I have the tank and the driveshaft and this huge tranny out I might as well...

Actually that's the smart way to do it, so you won't have to go back in there again (even though you will). So go for it, get everything done at once.

But anyway, all I can say about the HG job is please don't part the car over a HG, there are enough SCs biting the dust on a daily basis, and we need to keep some around or else there will be no one to buy parts from the people who are parting them! No offense to anyone who parts these cars, or any cars, just that when I am 80 (and I am 18 now), iwannaSCeee some SCs around other than mine! ;)

Matt

Well guys, I'd love to keep it, I'm just not sure how confident I am in doing the repair myself, and I'm perhaps a little poor to have it repaired...

Keep the suggestions coming... Anyone wanting to buy it, make an offer...

Anyone in the Gaithersburg, MD area wanting to help in early January, let me know...

Can you post a phone number? I have a friend who may be interested in making you an offer. You can PM me the number or email it to me at cessna158@netscape.net if you want to keep it private. Are you located in PA or MD?

Thanks,

Matt

ARP head studs - $125
Gasket set - $125
Misc. oil and fluids - $50
Milling heads - $60 pair

So really it cold be done for under $400. You're wasting you time if you don't at least get the heads milled before putting it back together.

Realistically, it will probably take you a whole day ( 8-10 hours) to get the heads off.

About 2-4 hours to clean the block up and get stuff ready to go back together.

And another 6-8 hours to put it back together.

It has been done by others in 3 hours each way (6 hours total), myself included, but that was with prior experience in engine work and the use of air tools that greatly speeds the process.

I will give you some words of confidence and then some people to contact in perhaps getting your head job put back together.

First off I had no mechanical experience until I had a Head Gasket let go and let me tell you that it really is over rated. First off every shop you go to will make it sound like more of a job than it is for all they see is the SUPERCHARGED 3.8 when they look at the motor. I was quoted anywhere from 1400-1700 to rebuild the top of my motor and well with new belts,hoses,wires,plugs, P&P heads, gaskets and studs...plus paying a friend to help I only came up with $700 expense.

Trust me, even if you have no idea as to what does what, with the help of this board and a manual you can rebuild your motor without much hassel.

Now on to who can help you in your area... Now I haven't heard much from Randy in a while but this guy is the man when it comes to fixing headgaskets on the SC motor. We rebuilt mine within 2 days using 8 hours each day to tear down and then rebuild...keep in mind I had no prior mechanical experience.

Go over to mamn12.com and look for RandyOfTheRedwoods ...he ight have a name on here to (I'm not sure). He help me and another guy in the mid-atlantic area rebuild his heads and well he hit us $300 which is a steal compared to everything eles...plus like I said all total expense was way cheaper than a shop.

If you can't find him on the board just make a post and someone in the group can get you his information.

Good luck to ya.

-Tim

Back