Engine Stumbles When Steering Lock to Lock

SC-71 TBIRD

Hello All,

My question is what the subject states. The RPM's drops when I move the steering at idle to the point of nearly shutting the engine off. What can cause the engine to do that?:confused:

Best guess is the power steering. Make sure your belts are in good condition and that the fluid reservoir is full. You might consider syphoning out some regular fluid & adding a PS conditioner, like Wynn's. If it's just happening first thing in the morning then cold temperatures can cause that temporarily. Worst case your PS pump is on the way out.
Jim.

Thanks for the information guys. But I am swinging toward the engine mount theory. I have noticed when I was replacing the VSS Sensor the Transmission mount looked severely damaged, and I knew the engine mounts will be going next. My steering appears to be fine. There is no hesitation in the assist and on the road the steering feels great. If the steering is contributing to the problem causing the engine to shift position from the hydraulic pressure from the pump and steering system. That's my assumption. ;)

Back