BJH balancer differences 89-95

93 Mark VIII

Basically, I sold someone a 94-95 Super coupe long block. They are putting it on an 89-93 SC. They used their timing cover and they also have purchased an 89-93 BJH balancer. They called me and said it looks like the BJH balancer doesn't fit because it bottoms out. Has anyone delt with this before? Is there any difference in the actual crankshaft from 89-95? I thought they could use their old timing cover and balancer fine on the new motor. Any tips?

Brian

Brian, I have both crankshafts but I will need to dig them out. I will check if they are different tonight. Mark

The cranks are the same and they actually can use the 94-95 front cover. The newer covers just have the two extra mounting holes for the crank sensor.

Where is it bottoming out? Maybe the balancer is not going in straight and hitting the crank key.

Do you think they may be trying to install the BHJ balancer without honing it to fit? It may be so tight that it seizes before it is completely installed. If they don't have the BHJ directions tell them to have the balancer honed to a .0015 interference fit on the crank nose.

Ya, the cranks are the same and it should work. I had a 95 core motor and used the crank and timing cover in my 91 with one of the original BHJ dampers.

The difference in the 94-95 damper is the cranksensor locating 'pad' on the damper is about 1/4"-1/2" closer to the motor than on the older cars. The 95 T-cover did have different tabs on it than my 90 spare cover, but I was still able to use it with the older 89-93 spec damper and crank sensor.

So, long story short, it all should fit together fine unless they have a 94-95 balancer with a 89-93 crank sensor ring bolted to it. But the part about the honing to fit is probably the culprit. Or, they're trying to beat it on with a hammer.

Yep they are all right and tell him to get rid of that 5 pound sledge hammer and go to the store and get him a 10 pounder and dont worry about the thrust bearing, Im sure its gone by now anyway:D

Back