car wont start!

PROJECTMAYHEM21

i was driving my sc earlier today when all of a sudden i lost all engine power, i pulled over and tried to start it back up but it wouldnt turn over, there was no loud bang or pops or anything of that nature which leads me to belive its electrical, i was also thinking it might be the fuel pump
does anyone have any ideas of what it could be and what i should look for?
thanks

Will the engine not turn over, or just not start? If it will turn over and not start, that very well could be you fuel pump.
Have your tried jumping your battery to rule out a bad altenator?
Before this happened, was your fuel pump noisy? usually before pumps go kaput, the make a loud humming noise for a while.
Your gonna need to supply a lil more info.

I've had a similar problem just recently. I havent opened mine up yet and checked to see what the problem was but i figured it was my fuel pump also. How quickly did your engine die did it struggle to stay alive for a little bit or just completely shut off? I noticed when I turn my key now my check gage light comes on below the tach and the yellow arrow points up to the type of fuel im suppost to use I got no clue what they mean but I know I havent put anything below 93 in it.

The Yellow light is telling u that your crank sensor has bit the dust buddy, u should have it looked it by someone that can change it for you.

Night-Ryder said:
The Yellow light is telling u that your crank sensor has bit the dust buddy, u should have it looked it by someone that can change it for you.
That's correct.. The up-arrow while cranking the engine means the EEC is not receiving the crank sensor signal.

In general here's the causes in rough order:

1. harmonic balancer bolt has sheared off and allowed the HB to walk forwards enough to break the signal to the sensor gap
2. Crank sensor has gone bad (this happend to me)
3. loose or broken wiring btwn the sensor and the EEC.

Feel around for the bolt in the center of the HB/pulley; if its missing, there's your problem. You can replace the bolt itself, but it will break again. You'll need a new HB.. that's why you see the BHJ balancer discussed so much here. Ford makes one for less $, but the BHJ is a better part.

the fuel pump would have nothing to do with it not turning over, and neither would the crank sensor. If either of these were bad it may not start but it should still turn over........

The Ford balancer doesn't need any balancing right? You just put it on because Ford already has it balanced for the SC? It's already in sync with the pully that comes with it.

Yes 35th, no balancing needed as it is already done by Ford.
I like the durability of the BHJ, but don't want to pay $$$ for part and more for the machine work/balancing/etc. The Fords downside is you practically replace it everytime you pull it off.:rolleyes: $275 for Ford unit.

Look in the general forums, I have a post labeled "found this web site". I too would like a better one but just can't afford it and I don't want to go through the hassle of balancing.

ok it will turn over, but it just wont start, and no the car didnt struggle it just seemed to die out this is why i think it may be electronic. i had no noises or anything coming from the car either
thanks

Brandon,
When you are cranking the car, does the "Upshift" light come on?
Is the tachometer bumping up and down a tiny bit when cranking?
If not, your crank sensor maybe dead, or Balance bolt could have broke. Stick your finger WAY into the center of the balance and feel for a bolt. If it is gone, your HB/and bolt need to be R&R.

PROJECTMAYHEM21 said:
ok it will turn over, but it just wont start, and no the car didnt struggle it just seemed to die out this is why i think it may be electronic. i had no noises or anything coming from the car either
thanks
Did you get to read my reply and the one just prior to it? Check it out and get back with us.

im not getting the upshift light and my tach is moving when i try and start it up, im thinking somthing has come loose or unpluged or a fuse has blown im gonna check it out now anyway
thanks

Did you happen to hit a huge pot hole just before this happened? Check the fuel pump interlock.

Then start with checking fuel pressure. If you find you have fuel pressure post what you are seeing for pressure and we can help from there.

Back