Unsightly!

XR7Kurt

OK, any suggestions on what to do about this. This is the seam between the back window and the trunk. It doesn't look like there was a problem with rust in this area.

Kurt

Attachments

• 5-spd seam.jpg
    5-spd seam.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 98
It's silicone caulking, I think. They used it on one of the fender badges also.

Attachments

• 5spd fender badge.jpg
    5spd fender badge.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 103
Hmmm

Silicone caulk is a PITA, if you want to remove it you'll have to use something safe like a plastic scraper and your fingers. It will take some time but you can get it.

They put it there for a reason, so it's likely you'll need to reseal that seam with something that looks better, but it all depends on how ambitious you are. You could use a white silicone, but tape off on each side of the seam so that you only have a channel of 1/4 inch or so between the tape. That way, when you lay the white silicone, you can smooth it to flatten it and the excess will spill over onto the tape, and when it dries you lift the tape and you have a nice, straight and even 1/4 inch strip of white silicone to fill that seam.

If you want it to look perfect, you'll have to refill it with bondo or an epoxy filler, then sand, prime and paint it.

It all depends on your skills and the tools at your disposal. Good luck Kurt.

As far as the emblem....

You'll have to remove that XR7 badge and then plastic scrape the bad silicone, and maybe polish the area too. :cool:

Thanks for the tips. I'm not Mr. Body work or anything, but I'm fairly sure I can do a better job than Bozo did. Especially on that emblem. I just wonder why somebody would think it was so important to have that emblem on there that they would make it look like that!

Kurt

Who knows, maybe you can remove it, compound & polish the area and you're done. My guess is there's a leak there ( or rust?) of some sort otherwise why put anything in there (?).

Can't hurt to find out I guess. Good luck Kurt.

Last edited:
Back