PDA

View Full Version : Making one IC out of 2 stock IC's *PICS*

V6Sprout
12-23-2003, 10:50 PM
I know there has been a lot of discussion about this lately, but I am gonna be making one large front mount IC out of 2 stock SC IC's. I just cut the endtanks off last night and this is what I have so far.

Here is how I will set them up, end tanks on each side

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/357/2_sc_ics_no_endtanks.jpg

Or you can do it this way and have it look more like a Honda IC :) but could still be effective.

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/357/2_sc_ics_side_by_side_no_endtanks.jpg

I am now gonna spend some time cleaning the black paint off them and then my uncle will help me design the endtanks and such, I will post my progress as it happens, but I am not in a large rush to finish this so progress might be slow, just though some woudl like to see what the 2 IC's look like together.

Here is the pic of one already done by BKB.

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/357/bkb_front_mount_ic.jpg

SC UL8R1990
12-23-2003, 10:59 PM
the middle picture doesnt look like itll even be able to function properly. as for the top one...where are the end tanks going?

looks interesting! good luck:cool:
walter

V6Sprout
12-23-2003, 11:03 PM
In the top pic the end tanks will go on either side like the bottom pic.

SC UL8R1990
12-23-2003, 11:48 PM
cool, good luck with that and keep this updated:cool:

super red91
12-24-2003, 12:02 AM
I like having the intercoolers side to side instead of on top of each other. From the last pic it doesnt look like to much of the air is actually going through the top intercooler because of the location of the inlet and outlet.

ChaseTruck754
12-24-2003, 12:04 AM
The top pic is how I am doing mine. I will just make end tanks on the side w/ a 3" inlet tube coming straight off one side and the same going out the other (kinda like the bottom pic, but w/ the inlet/outlet tubes in the middle of the endtanks). Air is not like water where it takes a long time to dissapate heat - therefore the shortest length of travel throug the IC w/ the most fin contact is preferred. So, based on that - the top pic is the best way to go. You get all the fin contact of 2 ICs, but traveling the same lenght as stock. W/ the second pic you get double the fin contact, but double the length of time in the IC.

tbird88
12-24-2003, 07:18 PM
Yours is for a Mustang but to use it in an SC...

Bottom pic (single-pass) will give the best flow but the top pic is the easiest to mount...if ya do one thing...

Make the top pic a dual-pass. Put a common tank on the passenger side and put a split tank on the driver side. Then you can route both IC pipes through the core support to the driverside of the IC using 90's (ells).
Granted, the flow in CFM will not be any better than the typical double but at least it will be out front. Again, this is based upon the easiest thing to mount on our SC's.

Middle pic (single-pass) will be a long bugger to fit in place (especially with end tanks added) and will be a choker concerning CFM. No buena!

Now...if ya took three stock IC's, split one down the middle and did a dual pass like I explained above...

;)

'bird

TBone95
12-24-2003, 07:34 PM
tbird88,

If I understand you right that doesnt sound any better than that middle pic. The air would still have to go through both cores one at a time, plus it would have to make a 180 turn.

I think the bottom IC is fine. Under load the air is most likely going to take the path of least resistance, so when a whole lot of air is going through it should use both cores.

-Travis

tbird88
12-24-2003, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by TBone95
tbird88,

If I understand you right that doesnt sound any better than that middle pic. The air would still have to go through both cores one at a time, plus it would have to make a 180 turn.

I think the bottom IC is fine. Under load the air is most likely going to take the path of least resistance, so when a whole lot of air is going through it should use both cores.

-Travis
The top is better than the middle. The middle will not flow as well as the top unless you can align the core tubes accurately. You can try shaving the flanges down and butting the tubes together to get rid of the dead space between the ends but...

180 turns? In the endtank? That's the least of your worries when ya start lookin' at the bends and length of pipe you'll need to use either the middle or bottom version in a SC/XR7 :)

And yes, read what I said, bottom is better than both as far as flow is concerned but harder to fit in our cars.

good thread!

'bird

ChaseTruck754
12-24-2003, 10:13 PM
yeah that's the 1 thing I forgot - I'm not the typical SC application - I have MUCH more open space to work with...

turbospeed
12-26-2003, 05:23 AM
that truck looks fun.

J57ltr
12-29-2003, 03:20 PM
Top pic = more flow
bottom pic = more cooling less flow

Jeff