Master Cylinder?

Don Pelley

My 35th Anniversary Bird has an intermittent problem, seems to occur most often when the engine is thoroughly warmed up...

I step on the brakes, and the pedal slowly goes to almost the floor. The car slows and stops (but is in no hurry about it), and I can pump up the pedal to get it to work better. This seems to happen most often when I'm planning way ahead and stepping on the brakes fairly softly...

Normally, I'd guess this is the master cylinder telling me to replace it, but having seen drawings of the car's ABS and normal brake system, I'm at a loss as to which part is failing. The Ford dealership, of course, simply shrugs and says they no longer stock the parts.

Anybody have experience with this, and know what parts are needed?

Thanks!

Don Pelley, Tucson
520-529-1200 (phone)
520-529-1201 (phone)
520-529-1202 (fax)
dgpaz@earthlink.net

Don,
I too have the shrugged shoulders at the stealership. I broke my ABS Pressure Swith which dealer no longer carries. What I did was pull one out of a wrecked 1992 Lincoln Town Car. It's the same Teves Mark II ABS systems as my 1990. Only difference was a flexible hose and banjo bolts going from the ABS Pump to the M/C. Mine has a prebent brake tubing line. I got the entire unit for $32 and is probably rebuildable. Try www.priorreman.com I think they totally rebuild the Teves Mark II ABS system for $600 or $800. New accumulator, seals, rebuild pump and M/C, shipping. Pretty good deal, and I think they have membership discounts. Look in the members section for post called "Contact person for Prior". As far as the spongy pedal, I have no clue. It may be just old brake fluid or something. Any brake lights pop up when you hit the brakes? Hope that helps, at least I didn't shrug my shoulders at ya.:D

No, Bob...you sure didn't shrug your shoulders at me! I appreciate the help!

The limp brake pedal came back today, while I was bringing my wife home from the hospital when she had surgery. Drives me nuts! They tell me that the symptoms are as though the master cylinder is "bypassing"... Hey, if I can replace the whole nine yards on this thing for $800, it's a done deal!

I'm heard of the "priorreman.com" parts thing, and I'm gonna try it. The car has 111,300 on it, and I'm the original owner, so I suppose you could say the attachment is too strong to not continue to do fixes. It's a great car, and that's a lot of miles.

It's an Anniversary Bird, by the way, the only one anywhere around here...

Again, many thanks!

Don

No prob. Might try and find a rebuilder to ship to Prior (if your 35th is a daily driver) as Prior will ask for a core or core charge I believe.

Back