what headgaskets to use

1995whitestang

im looking to buy a SC motor with blown HG's soon. im gonna start the rebuild this winter.

i was talking to a mechanic at work and he said there is a head gasket out there way better than ford for the SC motors and is better at not blowing or splitting apart.

anyone got recomendations on which HG i should use?

If I may hijack;

I am actually interested in what Jasper uses. They advertise a graphite gasket on their specifications chart for their rebuilt engines and basically say its better at handling the different expansion rates between aluminum and iron...

The 4.2s use a 3 layer gasket that's supposed to be the best setup for our's. Have heard it works better than o-ringing.... not sure on that but...

The MLS gaskets mentioned above are certainly the way to go. To date, no one has reported blowing them when installed properly. NOTE: I said installed properly. This means the deck surface of the block AND heads needs to be close to or at a mirror finish. On the RA scale, the finish needs to be at or below a 20 to work with those HGs.

Paul

Actually, I see I left a few details out. The gaskets you want are for the 97 Ford F150 4.2L application. Part #s 9253PT and 9250PT.

Back