cant get the oil fill tube out

rzimmerl

the fill tube is stuck in the valve cover both of the clamps are off, tried a scewdriver and channellocks and will not budge. the valve cover just moves. am trying to get the tb off

I tried getting mine off my 90' a while back and gave up and just tried other ways as I couldn't get mine off to. If your taking off the TB, I just used some dish dish sockets, 1/4" socket wrench, and extensions (The bottom two are a bit tricky). Be patient. Swivel may also help.

got alll the bolts off just need clearence to clear the lower stud it wont slide out inbetween will try again this week

pull twist you name it i tried it. the valve cover is movin when i do it and really dont want to break it

Are you pulling it off the 90' or 94'?
The 90' TB has a coolant line attached to the bottom that a lot of people overlook. My TB slides off, not easilly, but have to pull the coolant line, TPS plug in, IAC plug in, throttle linkage, and I beleive the filler CAP. If you forgot that coolant line, it MAY be hanging up on that as it is VERY short. I know I can get my TB off without pulling the filler TUBE. It is a stock TB on mine though.
Dont wiggle that tube too much or you be pulling the valve cover off to do gaskets next. Got to be someone on here who knows a trick on getting that tube off..

it is for a 90. all the plugs are off just need to get to the coolant line yet it is still the stock tb. the car has no tranny, intercooler and tubes or exhaust manifolds (being sent to tbird88), in a winter rebuild process. trying to get the blower off becase my bypass hose is destroyed by the guy the old owner had the hg replaced by

Just so ya know how it's built...

The upper section of the filler tube is about 2-1/2" long and slides down inside of the tube that is on the valve cover. Do NOT twist/turn the upper section, the upper section has a straight vertical female groove down the side of it that mates with a straight male ridge that's inside of the lower tube. There is no interlocking feature or twist etc, the upper just slides done into the lower.

Keep in mind that the lower is permanently fixed to the valve cover and is not removable. You're just somehow gonna have to pull the upper straight up out of the lower.

Could be rust or gunk in the connection...try tapping the flange that the cap screws into side to side (just a slight wiggle, don't beat the snot out've it) and maybe it'll break whatever bond is holding it and you can pull it straight up outa the lower.

Again, don't try twisting the upper. These valve covers are magnesium and are very brittle...don't ask me how I know :(

'bird

Good to know that 'bird.
Well if you got all that stuff off of the car, then you might as well pull the whole SC/Plenum/Intake off as a whole unit. You'll definately be able to get that TB off then. Lots of vac lines that you'll want to label, TRUST ME on the labels :rolleyes: And while your in there, might want to replace the heater hoses, and if IC tubes are off then you might also think about motor mounts.

BobGPz is right on the money. Since yours is a '90 auto it has no EGR then removing the blower/inlet plenum/throttle body all at once is the easiest way.

Reach down on the sides of the TB with a knife & cut the coolant hoses. Pull the throttle linkage, drive belt, the 3 bolts holdin' the blower down, a few vacuum hoses and it'll be putty in your hands.

'bird

I deleted my earlier post after reading Tbird88s input, I remembered the groove but I guess it has no locking slot. It must be that the hose is just welded to the tube. Like a radiator hose gets on the outlets. Did you try slipping something thin but stiff between the upper tube and the hose? I only ran a scredriver around mine like you would a radiator or heater hose. But like Tbird88 mentioned. be careful the covers are very light weight. I have not broken one "Yet".

Back