255x45x17 tires on SVT 17x9's (polished)

Blownaway

OK guys, I'm sure you've all heard this question asked before but since it's time for a wheel and tire upgrade I figure it's my turn to ask and reap some of the experience (pro and con) of my fellow Birdheads :)
I'm going from a stock 225x60x16 hopfuly, to a 255x45x17 w/ 17x9 polised SVT Cobra wheels. (T-bird specific)
Also going to install the Eiabach pro kit thats been sitting in the garage, to drop the car 1.5 inches (according to Eiabach).
So my questions are:
1) Will this tire and wheel combo be close to the 26.6in height of the factory setup?
2) Will there be any clearance problems front or rear primarily front when steering wheel is turned lock to lock?
3)With this width tire and wheel and 1.5" drop, will there be a wheel lip clearance problem?
4) If my choice of tire size is off, which tire size will come closest to the stock height.
Any info you guys can provide will help.
Thanking you all in advance,
Ron.

The Front yea, with 17x9" wheels u either need to get older spindles or put some spacers on or they will hit. (so i was told b4) the rear you can run 275's that i know of off the top of my head without rubbing. hope this helps.

Jay

I had the same tire and wheel size with H&R springs on my SC for a couple years. No rubbing on the front, I did get some rubbing on the rears (fender lip) when going over large bumps or when people were in the back seat. A set of air bags corrected that, but now the rear sits about 1/2" higher than it did before the air bags.

I now have gone a little wider on the rear (275-40-17) and plan to go a little narrower on the front (245-45-17) this spring. The lower left picture on my member's page has the 255-45s all the way around and the lowering springs.

David

Dav enot so sur eyoull like the 245/45....Look on my member page for a pic of my car..I had them on at time..Fit great handled great/./Lil rough of a ride and too small looking in wheelwells

Damon, do u have any pix of what the tire size ur runnin now looks like?? I'd be interested to see a photo of it, I am in the same boat as u the 245-45 are to small for our wheel wells and i hate the look.

Jay

Many thanks to you guys (Jay,Damon, David, & Luke) for your help and opinions.
You've also piqued my curiosity about maybe somthing wider on the rear, say maybe a 275x45x17?
Wondering about the ride harshness factor though.
What say you?
Ron.

Last edited:
275-45 isnt made in any tire man. It sux cuz i think it would be a perfect tire size for the rear of the SC. IMO, I am still wondering why the heck my car looks so stupid with 245-45 front and 255-45 rear, they just look to small and the 275-40 is the biggest ur gonna get 275's so keep that in mind.

Jay

I now have gone a little wider on the rear (275-40-17) and plan to go a little narrower on the front (245-45-17) this spring.

That is what I have with Eibach 1.5" springs. Works great. I did have to use a really small spacer on the front becuase I have the '93+ spindles.

LC_Show5.jpg

Thomas

i have 255/45/17 BFG KDWS's on my bird. eibach springs. i love em. no rubbin, no scraping. and not bouncy at all. killer tires. nice ride. this is the only pic i have that is remotely close to a side view. i don't feel they are too small on the "45" side. 50's are too tall for me and i hate slim sidewalls. hope this helps. steve.

Attachments

• mvc-003s.jpg
    mvc-003s.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 465
Will there be any spacers needed on the front of my 95 if I go with the 245x50x17 using the 17x9 corbra wheel?
And I'm leaning toward the 255x50x17 for the rear since the 275x45x17 is not available.
Any forseable problems with this set-up?
Thinking about the B.F. Goodrich KDW g-force tire from my local wholesale club since the price seems to be right.
Or maybe some Nittto's.

Last edited:
darkstar_one...those are Detroit replicas. they have a 36mm back spacing i believe. 17X9. thanks for teh compliment. i am "anti-chrome" as well. too bling for me. haha. no offense to those of you that enjoy a nice set of chrome rims. i got my from alex LaChance (hope i spelled that correct). thanks alex! steve.

Jay wish I had a picture however car is not in my posesion now to do so. the 255/50/17 are a lil bit taller then stock and fit great with my bird dropped 1.5 inches. I have original 98 Cobra wheels on my car so the offset is a tad off from that of a Tbird. If I have 4-5 people inmy car the tires will rub when hitting akward dips in road...However if you have SC offset rims should fit nice

Back