AOD tranny problems

r2x68

i have a 93sc and i drive it back and forth from school and my home(PA to NY). And whenever i get about halfway into the drive the AOD tranny begins to slip, the rmps will go up but no acceleration. Now since being home the tranny has problems shifting cold in OD or D, ill drive down the street and it wont shift out of 1st. After it warms up it'll start to shift but when i come to a stop it feels like its hanging up not downshifting to 1st. then when i take off i can feel it down shift to 1st. my fluid is good and ive messed around with the TV cable and its seems not to help. ive talked to a tranny guy over the phone and he thinks i should change the tranny, but he said there are 3 different sc tranny's with 3 different gear ratios and 3 different speedometer gears. i was wondering if anyone knows whats wrong with the tranny and if i gotta get a new tranny has anyone heard anything about 3 different trannys?..thanks

your gonna need a rebuild, my sc had the same problem only had frist till it got warm then would slide into 3rd, as for the gear ratios thats the rear end not the tranny. any 90 and newer aod from a sc or mustang 5.0 will work, a n/a v6 tranny wont hold up, the speedo gear can be swapped from your old tranny. as for the tranny shop i would find a new one, if they are not sure whats goin on not a good sign, they are not cheap to have rebuilt.

d

i agree it sounds like your gonna be in the market for a new tranny-it happened to me the same way after driving for a couple hours OD would start to slip, then it wouldn't shift properly when cold, and wouldn't always downshit when ya came to stops...ended up getting a rebuild, and a trans-go shift kit. Things are better now.

As far as different trannys for the SC's there was only a couple. Yours is obviously an AOD and as far as i know there are no variations of the aod that you need to worry about. There may have been a change for the 94/95 they may have became more comptuerized but don't quote me on that...i know they list the specs somewhere in the sccoa website here for ya, or hopefully someone else will add a post to correct or verify me

89-93 uses AOD 94-95 uses 4R70W.

i have heard ford did few things to improve on the 1993 AOD transmission and thats why im hesitant to buy a used 89-92 tranny to put in my sc, i just lost OD myself and had symptoms like you describe where od wouldnt work one day and then as it warmed up it was fine, but then a month later, od went out to never return :(

i also had/have the slipping in first problem

ive contacted a few local tranny places and they all want $1200+ for a stock rebuild and $1500ish for a rebuild and a shift kit, im seriously considering the Art Carr $1395 tranny on supercoupeperformance at this point.

r2x68 said:
i have a 93sc and i drive it back and forth from school and my home(PA to NY). And whenever i get about halfway into the drive the AOD tranny begins to slip, the rmps will go up but no acceleration. Now since being home the tranny has problems shifting cold in OD or D, ill drive down the street and it wont shift out of 1st. After it warms up it'll start to shift but when i come to a stop it feels like its hanging up not downshifting to 1st. then when i take off i can feel it down shift to 1st. my fluid is good and ive messed around with the TV cable and its seems not to help. ive talked to a tranny guy over the phone and he thinks i should change the tranny, but he said there are 3 different sc tranny's with 3 different gear ratios and 3 different speedometer gears. i was wondering if anyone knows whats wrong with the tranny and if i gotta get a new tranny has anyone heard anything about 3 different trannys?..thanks

I had a similar problem once. After and inspection I found it was the grommet that holds onto the transmission cable broke in half and fell out. Take a look at the left side of the intake near where the accelerator cable attaches to the throttle. There should be a tranny cable there as well. Insure that it’s attached. If it isn’t it's about a $1.88 part at Ford and your problem is solved.

See attachment.

Attachments

• p1010211.jpg
    p1010211.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 603
ford did change a few things in the aod from the 89 to 90 model, not sure what they are but the parts are a little more for the newer design. the parts i bought for mine range from years 90-93, compared to the older 83-89 model

thanx

hey guys, thanks for all your help. my dads a mechanic and hes been looking at it. he droped the pan and saw lots of filings and said my tranny was burnt. looks like i gotta get a new tranny, but unfortunitly i think im gonna have to sell my sc. ive put alot of $ into the car and have ran out of cash. well ill see how it goes. thanks again for all the help.

i just bought an AOD off ebay for $990 shipped to my door, performance rebuild with a vb similar to the lentech however it doesnt use the switch it simply wont allow you to go into OD under 1/2-3/4 throttle but still locks the car in second in D making the 1-d-od 1-2-3 just like the Lentech... heres a link to the same tranny in a different listing on ebay, its a shop that does a rebuild and ships it to you, if you buy it now for $950 you pay $20 for insurance and $20 to drop ship it to your house but you dont pay the initial $150 shipping charge... local tranny ships all wanted $1200-$1500 for a stock rebuild with mild shift kit, and i got a friend of mine to help me put it in (hes a mechanic) in trade for my old core so he can have it rebuilt and put into his 93 lx.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2451237800

will that tranny you linked to work as a direct replacement... or will i have to make some modifications?

damn... cuz ive already lost OD on my tranny and need to get a new one... local tranny shop wants $800-1200 to do it... and wont really give a specific price.

my problem is, when it comes to automatic trannys... im cursed... every automatic i have bought has blown within 2months of getting it...

most places will rebuild it for $5-600 on the bench. if you can take it out and install it, it saves money.

rzimmerl said:
your gonna need a rebuild, my sc had the same problem only had frist till it got warm then would slide into 3rd, as for the gear ratios thats the rear end not the tranny. any 90 and newer aod from a sc or mustang 5.0 will work, a n/a v6 tranny wont hold up, the speedo gear can be swapped from your old tranny. as for the tranny shop i would find a new one, if they are not sure whats goin on not a good sign, they are not cheap to have rebuilt.

OKay... of all the replys... I heard pricing of around 700-1200... is that for everything to be done ? --- becuase my shop here in California said $2,300 for a new tranny... should I just take my AOD to AAMCO ? --- is that safe ?

I also heard something about a grommet... has anyone ever checked this ? and if so... could alot of people be missing something simple like a grommet ? I guess anything is possible and I've seen my V6 ... the rubber they used back then stinks...

Finally... I just posted the same tranny problem on the Board... I live in NorCal and I just got my car and its only got 107k and the tranny is doing that slipping thing from 3-4. Lots of juice in 1-D but if I drive manual.

So... what should I pay ? --- $800 sounds great vs. $2,300

jleopold said:
OKay... of all the replys... I heard pricing of around 700-1200... is that for everything to be done ? --- becuase my shop here in California said $2,300 for a new tranny... should I just take my AOD to AAMCO ? --- is that safe ?

I also heard something about a grommet... has anyone ever checked this ? and if so... could alot of people be missing something simple like a grommet ? I guess anything is possible and I've seen my V6 ... the rubber they used back then stinks...

Finally... I just posted the same tranny problem on the Board... I live in NorCal and I just got my car and its only got 107k and the tranny is doing that slipping thing from 3-4. Lots of juice in 1-D but if I drive manual.

So... what should I pay ? --- $800 sounds great vs. $2,300

I just responded to your other one...but anyways is the 800 installed or not??? 2,300 is high even installed...insane if it's not..

Well I hate to point out the obvious but it sounds like it is getting hot. Install a cooler and just to be sure it's right have the tv cable adjusted correctly. You can buy the mos expensive transmission available and without those things it will still do it. I do suggest having a transmission built with the wide band in it, the narrow band in yours has that problem alot.
Alan

My car devoloped the same problem today. It shifts from first to drive them OD is just like neutral. It does not slip at all. I played with the TV cable and inspected everything and it's in check. I had a buddy that works for Jasper Engines rebuilding the AOD's AODE's and 4r70w's. He told me that the plunger on the TV lever in the trans is commin to mess up and need to be replaced. And that I should drop the valve body and check it out. And that can fix the problem with fresh fluid and filter as long as there isn't a lot of shavings in the pan/old fluid. The fluid in the trans is not burnt at all. And it really does not slip. So I'm gonna give that stuff a try before locating or overhauling the current trans. Any input on that ordeal?

And that can fix the problem with fresh fluid and filter as long as there isn't a lot of shavings in the pan/old fluid. The fluid in the trans is not burnt at all. And it really does not slip. So I'm gonna give that stuff a try before locating or overhauling the current trans. Any input on that ordeal?

Be careful - how many miles on your trans? Some say new fluid can cause more grief than good... Drop the pan and do an inspection first, then make a plan.

It's supposed to be 40-50 out of an overhaul. It appears that way too. I don't think it's going out. But I'm gonna try it incase the idiots didn't change the fluid and filter after the rebuild like they were supposed to. This happend on a normal easy drive. No beating on it. It's doing exactly what a 700r4 we just put in a blazer was doing till the TV cable was adjusted right. But of it's gonna need an overhaul, I'm gonna need links to get the heavier duty parts cause if I tear it apart I'm putting it back together tougher.

Back