where do I start?

jre97

Just got an 89 xr7. It wouldn't start and I threw some spark plugs and an ignition module at it and it fired right up. Not bad for $400. Where do I start to make it go faster?

I gutted the catalytic converters and am thinking about putting flowmaster mufflers on it and getting rid of the resonator. Does anyone make headers for it?

Love it!
Got the hi-flow cats to magnaflow resonator, to the dynomax mufflers. Pipes and all, prefit for my car. Took it to a buddys house and we welded it up. Sure Bill would weld it for you, but shipping might get expensive being 20 feet long!:D
Has a very deep and throaty sound, but not hi pitch ricey sound. Has held up great and have had it for 2 years now.

hey jre, def exhaust but, not to bash on bill i know hes done alot for sc's, but i know you can get that exact same exhaust setup for cheaper from an exhaust shop. and it does sound really good, my friend got mid-length headers and that same setup with magnaflow res. and dynomax super turbos, and got it all installed for around 900 or so i beleive, so thats installing headers too(they are a PITA). not too bad.

-after exhuast, go with an sc pulley....10%od should work for you.

then after that you can't stop, but it also depends on how fast you want to go, i would go with a mafs/injectors, and a throttle body.

here are 2 really good sites

www.supercoupeperformance.com

www.mn12performance.com

both are good!

good luck, my .02

5% overdrive pulley is a little safer for ME as it seems alot of people selling or trading the 10% in for a 5%. Too much detonation problems, but that is just my opinion. I'm sure a lot of guys are happy w/ their 10%. Check out the parts for sale forum as you will probably find either one in their for cheap...a lot of other upgrades as well..

I agree. Seems like most of the threads that start with. "I just blew my headgaskets" reveal a 10% pulley in the mix.

I know a 10% ups your boost but they also generate a lot more heat. Like Bob said. Detonation... From what I have learned in the last year you should work on freeing up your exhaust first. Then get a improved air intake system. Then a bigger pulley might help. I would wait till I got a bigger Maf and throttlebody, injectors on the early cars with 30lbrs and on all cars a 190 or 255lph fuel pump and Raised top. Then a pulley. But I would go for the MP inlet and Magnaport before a 10%. flows a lot more without the heat. Then you need more intercooler. A double IC or the very cool MP front mount IC.

If you are opening your exhaust up look at T-Bird88s ported exhaust manifolds or maybe port your own. Its not that hard.

aplvlydrtybird said:
hey jre, def exhaust but, not to bash on bill i know hes done alot for sc's, but i know you can get that exact same exhaust setup for cheaper from an exhaust shop. and it does sound really good, my friend got mid-length headers and that same setup with magnaflow res. and dynomax super turbos, and got it all installed for around 900 or so i beleive, so thats installing headers too(they are a PITA). not too bad.

good luck, my .02

If you get the cat back from SCP, is the tubing Mandrel bent? If so, maybe that would justify the higher price. I'm trying to decide myself which way to go for exhaust. It is tempting to go with a local exhaust shop, but all their pipeing is crush bent.

Anyone know if the systems for SCP are mandrel or crush bent?

yea my exhaust was doen with a pipe bender not mandrel bent, but still flows great and for it all to be done with welding...it only costed me $250, so i would rather do that than 700...just my opinion.

yea the scp exhaust looks pandrel bent, but its also like $700 in pieces then you have to put it together and then have someone weld it, the price goes even higher. id rather have a bigger pipe with MAYBE a lil more restirction than pay $700+ dollars, I'd rather spend the 500 on something else.

but jre, def. want to get exhaust for your first mod...its fine to go with scp its a great exhaust setup and you will like it, just try and look around is all im saying, go with what you feel comfortable with.

my .02 again!

Back