Can't figure out this thermostat

35th T-bird SC

I bought a Motorcraft thermostat with a blled valve in it a while back. part no. xf1e-8575-9a. It is 54 mm. It doesn't seem to fit right. It is supposed to lock in but it won't and it wobbles in the housing because it has this lobe on it keeping it from fitting right. I then bought a stant that napa said is for this car that fits perfect. It is also 54mm BUT it has no bleed hole. How important is the bleed hole. I don't have the old thermostat because I threw it out when I took it off thinking I'd never have to look at it again. The haynes is no help it just shows pictures of the na T-bird and the v-8. The motorcraft almost fits but it has the slight wobble and I'm scared it will leak if I use it. Can I just drill a hole in the stant one?

i'll check at work tomorrow for the correct part number and post it after work (I work at a NAPA store) if the only difference is the bleed hole you should be fine but might as well make sure they gave you the right part number.....hopefully you got the 'superstat' not just the standard thermostat.

The little bleeder valve makes it easier to fill the system and eliminate air pockets when filling. It is not necessary.

35th T-bird SC said:
So what if I drill a 1/16" hole in the stant thermostat? Will that do any harm?

Nope, it will make it easier to eliminate air pockets (good thing). This is actually known as the "thermostat mod" over at tccoa.

-Rod

the correct part number is #530080 (180 degree) or #530090 (195 degree). the number for the gasket at NAPA is C26888 which they will probably have to order , it is different from the n/a 3.8..... if they gave you #1038st or #1050st they are Both wrong!....... whether or not you drill a bleed hole, make sure you take the plug out of the thermostat housing when refilling, that will eliminate air pockets

Back