control arms

turbospeed

im trying to rebuild the suspension im getting new upper control arms but the lower ones look very expensive , can the be rebuilt? just new bushings?

the bushings in the lower C arms can be replaced but they are not the important part, the important part (the one that breaks) is the lower ball joint, about $45 from MOOG and its regreasable unlike the oem ones.

MOOG
K8477 [Lower Ball Joint] Front Suspension; 2 Required $76.50 $47.92 each

TRW
104108 (Ball Joint, All, use two per vehicle); SC Listing $69.00 $44.98 each

10771 (Left, Control Arm w/Ball Joint, Super Coupe); SC Listing $131.03 each

10772 (Right, Control Arm w/Ball Joint, Super Coupe); SC Listing $131.03 each

wich one

:confused:

Turbo - you can replace the lower ball joints and get new bushings (a complete set) from MN 12 Performance; but they are expensive & a bit of a pain to get pressed into the old arms. I'd go to the "Links" section and get pricing from '5 Star Ford' and the other discount Ford suppliers. I've paid as little as $85 ea and as much as $120 ea. for the lower arms on my '93 & '94. Much easier to just replace the whole arm & then get the alignment checked.
Jim.

turbospeed said:
MOOG
K8477 [Lower Ball Joint] Front Suspension; 2 Required $76.50 $47.92 each

TRW
104108 (Ball Joint, All, use two per vehicle); SC Listing $69.00 $44.98 each

10771 (Left, Control Arm w/Ball Joint, Super Coupe); SC Listing $131.03 each

10772 (Right, Control Arm w/Ball Joint, Super Coupe); SC Listing $131.03 each

wich one

:confused:
10771 and 10772 are the correct parts and include the lower arm with the bushings and ball joint attached. You can get them for around $100 each from 5star ford in Arizona. email max at parts@fivestarford.com. You should look into replacing the strut rod bushings while you're at it. Removing the lower strut rod requires separating the lower ball joint from the spindle. To do this tears up the seal.

TbirdSCFan said:
You should look into replacing the strut rod bushings while you're at it. Removing the lower strut rod requires separating the lower ball joint from the spindle. To do this tears up the seal.

This is what I get letting a shop do the work. I had lower ball joiints installed when in a hurry for my son one day last summer. It is obvious the strut rod on one side needs a bushing. A chunk is missing. Grumble Gripe:mad:

There may be better tools for the job which won't tear the ball joint seals up, but I had to use a crows foot and 5lb hammer to get it separated. I didn't care about the old part anyway. I replaced the strut rod arm bushings because I had to remove it. I'm hoping the strut rod frame bushings won't be so hard to do. Mine are worn out along with my tires and will need to be replaed before I can get it aligned.

Back