Engine rebuild, what should i upgrade?

dodgetruck91

Ok,

I now am starting to buy parts for my engine rebuild, I want to run a 100 shot safely with a 10% pully, I got the exhaust covered, i just got to know what kind of stuff that i need to bild bottom end/top end, IE pistons, cam, lifters and all that good stuff. Also were can i get all of it. Im not looking for a full race car but te faster the better and it has to handle a 100 shot with 10% pully. Thanks for any input,

I'd recomend some forged pistons for sure. I'd go with either JE, Ross or Diamond pistons, with Eagle 351 Connecting rods for the bottom end. While your at it, a stud girdle would be a good idea, and easy to install at the time.

Thomas

I agree, always work from the bottom up that way you don't have to pull the motor again. Start with the pistons and rods, and a main stud girdle for insurance, this way you won't have to pull the block to upgrade later i ncase the HP bug bites harder. A double roller timing chain is also good insurance.

yea if you are going with a 100 shot of nitrous, you might wanna go to top sc's and see what the top guys have for internals, cause a 100 shot of nitrous its more like 200 shot with a force inducted car i.e. supercharger....so take a look at christopher wise's setup, or david neibert etc...the fast guys.

oh yea be prepared to spend alot of money!

my .02

With all the money you're spending on upgrades, you're better off with a 5.0L swap. Let the drama begin....

hahah hes right, you could go faster with the 5.0l....but its not as unique and everyone has one. IMO I wouldnt want to swap it, not on this car, its something different than what you see most of the time and it does have potential.....a little more expensive yes, but its still fun for me.

my .02

its allright mn12 kid, i see where ya coming from, but c'mon haha

Spending more for less is retarted - no offense. I'm not modding my SC, until XR7 Dave posts his instructions for the 5.0L swap.

Last edited:
Double Roller

In one of the above reply's it said go with double roller timing chain, I am doing basically the same thing with my car, but its a Taurus. I know this isnt a Taurus forum, but does anyone know if I can fit a double roller on my 3.8? Or should I just buy one and if it doesnt fit return it?

yea buy it and test it out...thats why God made brake clean!

oh and mn12kid, i know its cheaper to make a 5.0 go fast, but when you see a 3.8 sc dipping past a fully built 5.0, thats something you dont see everyday, and thats just cool to me. not everyone has one of these, and you know how many 5.0's are out there....my .02

I will stick wit my 3.8L
So if i were to do this:

Pistons, Crank, Rods, stud gridle, rebuild SC, and of course open exhaust.

I could now run 75-100 shot safely with a 10% od pully?
Also, whats a gridle?

good call

good call sticking with the 3.8 sc, but make sure your pistons are forged, rods are h-beam, and read up on nitrous, learn everythign there is to know before u used it. you dont want to waste all ur money....my.02

p.s. dodgetruck91, sorry for almost hijacking ur thread. take a look at the top sc's and see what they have for setups and that will give you an idea. Im sure if you do this, this wont be the last time we hear from ya...! good luck

MP intake, MP 85mm tb, MP inlet plenum, MP raised top, MPII SC, ESM quick change pulley system with 5,10,15% pulleys, SCP Jackshaft pulley, underdrive pulleys, BHJ ballancer, MP Front Mount intercooler, custom Aluminum radiator, 42 or 50lb injectors, Holley 255 forced induction fuel pump, Pay Chris Wise to port your intake and assemble your engine using. Steigemier Heads and cam, Comp custom pushrods, Crane lifters and rockers,ported intake, H beam rods, Ross Pistons(?) Custom crank work. Is it stroked?. Morona Girdle, ARP fasteners for the Heads and Bottom end (Crank, rods), Late model oil pump. Chris is the guy for what machine work is required. (he is the top dog you know)
Total Seal rings and King Bearings. Felpro Gaskets(but for Ford Metal 4.2 HGs), solid motor mounts.

Don't forget the Apten Chip. Brian will dial it in for you.

Kooks headers, high flow cats, 2.5 to 3.0 to 2.5 exhaust (new style tank. 93 and on) for a 5 speed you need the Spec stage 3 clutch and rebuilt late model transmission sporting a B&M short throw shifter. 3.27 gears of course.

for a auto I don't know for sure just buy the bulletproof tranny, convertor and 3.73 gears From SCP

IN the 12's for sure but then for the 11's you need power adders. Time for the juice.....

Get your drag radials

wezar said:
MP intake, MP 85mm tb, MP inlet plenum, MP raised top, MPII SC, ESM quick change pulley system with 5,10,15% pulleys, SCP Jackshaft pulley, underdrive pulleys, BHJ ballancer, MP Front Mount intercooler, custom Aluminum radiator, 42 or 50lb injectors, Holley 255 forced induction fuel pump, Pay Chris Wise to port your intake and assemble your engine using. Steigemier Heads and cam, Comp custom pushrods, Crane lifters and rockers,ported intake, H beam rods, Ross Pistons(?) Custom crank work. Is it stroked?. Morona Girdle, ARP fasteners for the Heads and Bottom end (Crank, rods), Late model oil pump. Chris is the guy for what machine work is required. (he is the top dog you know)
Total Seal rings and King Bearings. Felpro Gaskets(but for Ford Metal 4.2 HGs), solid motor mounts.

Don't forget the Apten Chip. Brian will dial it in for you.

Kooks headers, high flow cats, 2.5 to 3.0 to 2.5 exhaust (new style tank. 93 and on) for a 5 speed you need the Spec stage 3 clutch and rebuilt late model transmission sporting a B&M short throw shifter. 3.27 gears of course.

for a auto I don't know for sure just buy the bulletproof tranny, convertor and 3.73 gears From SCP

IN the 12's for sure but then for the 11's you need power adders. Time for the juice.....

Get your drag radials

ok. once i win the lottery i will do it! until theni just want to shoot for te 13s, all i need to know is wat shold i do to make the engine handle spray, but we will see, maybe i willbeable to save enogh to shoot for someof thoes things, tanks alot for all ur help. Jon

Do you want it to live too? go for the forged bottom end and head work. Then put your shot into it. Thats what I was saying. Then you have something your can build on.

Still a 50 shot has been run by a local guy with a 3"intake stock MAF, TB, injectors 30lb and inlet.

His heads have been worked over and he has ported exhaust manifolds. The bottom end has the late model rods and pistons which are stronger.

If you want to run a 100 shot with confidence it won't be cheap. Still you can put it on a stock engine and let us know how long it took to knock the pistons into the pan.

You can get to 13's without NOZ.

Too handle a 100 shot with a 10% pulley you are building a race engine.

Last edited:
dodgetruck91 said:
Ok,

I now am starting to buy parts for my engine rebuild, I want to run a 100 shot safely with a 10% pully, I got the exhaust covered, i just got to know what kind of stuff that i need to bild bottom end/top end, IE pistons, cam, lifters and all that good stuff. Also were can i get all of it. Im not looking for a full race car but te faster the better and it has to handle a 100 shot with 10% pully. Thanks for any input,

From someone who's done it, just get your heads ported, maybe some larger valves too.

You don't need to beef up pistons, blah blah blah....these things can handle a 75 shot with an exhaust and a 100 shot with a nice flowing set of heads.

Are you able to run a 100 shot with stock injectors and fuel pump? What other mods have you done to get it to run a 100 shot? I am just going off what I have learned here. Like you say. You are one who has done it.

What kind of performance have you been able to achieve? Have you had your car to the dyno or the track? How many miles have you been running this setup?

Thanks

wezar said:
Are you able to run a 100 shot with stock injectors and fuel pump? What other mods have you done to get it to run a 100 shot? I am just going off what I have learned here. Like you say. You are one who has done it.

What kind of performance have you been able to achieve? Have you had your car to the dyno or the track? How many miles have you been running this setup?

Thanks

I have heads, full exhaust and an air intake.

I used a Zex kit which regulates the amount of fuel/air/nitrous all automatically so there's no need to worry about leaning out or other fuel problems.

Send me a PM and we can get into it a little more. :)

Back